Apr 14, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Hughes was chased early after the Angels touched him up for six runs on eight hits over just 3 1/3 innings. The big blows came courtesy of a two-run homer by Chris Iannetta in the top of the second inning and a three-run blast by Howie Kendrick in the fourth. Albert Pujols also mixed in an RBI double.
Hughes threw 52 out of 84 pitches for strikes while fanning six and walking a pair. David Phelps, who struck out four over 2 1/3 hitless innings in an extra-inning win over the Orioles on Tuesday, has taken over in relief and will try to keep the Yankees in this thing.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 142
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (145)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)