Apr 14, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Jason Beck of MLB.com, the Twins have claimed outfielder Clete Thomas off waivers from the Tigers. Scott Baker was transferred the 60-day disabled list in order to clear a spot on the Twins’ 40-man roster, but they still need to make a corresponding roster move to add him to the active roster.
Thomas owns a .253/.336/.391 batting line over 443 plate appearances in the majors, but he hasn’t really done anything at the big league level since 2009. The 28-year-old missed most of the 2010 season following knee surgery and spent the entire 2011 season with Triple-A Toledo. He appeared in three games with the Tigers this season before being designated for assignment on Wednesday, but didn’t have a plate appearance.
It seems like a pretty boring transaction on the surface, but since Thomas is capable of playing center field, one wonders if the Twins will be inclined to send Ben Revere down the minors. The 23-year-old only has 11 at-bats entering today’s action, so it might be best for him to be in a position to play everyday.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)