Apr 14, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Jason Beck of MLB.com, the Twins have claimed outfielder Clete Thomas off waivers from the Tigers. Scott Baker was transferred the 60-day disabled list in order to clear a spot on the Twins’ 40-man roster, but they still need to make a corresponding roster move to add him to the active roster.
Thomas owns a .253/.336/.391 batting line over 443 plate appearances in the majors, but he hasn’t really done anything at the big league level since 2009. The 28-year-old missed most of the 2010 season following knee surgery and spent the entire 2011 season with Triple-A Toledo. He appeared in three games with the Tigers this season before being designated for assignment on Wednesday, but didn’t have a plate appearance.
It seems like a pretty boring transaction on the surface, but since Thomas is capable of playing center field, one wonders if the Twins will be inclined to send Ben Revere down the minors. The 23-year-old only has 11 at-bats entering today’s action, so it might be best for him to be in a position to play everyday.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)