Apr 14, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Jason Beck of MLB.com, the Twins have claimed outfielder Clete Thomas off waivers from the Tigers. Scott Baker was transferred the 60-day disabled list in order to clear a spot on the Twins’ 40-man roster, but they still need to make a corresponding roster move to add him to the active roster.
Thomas owns a .253/.336/.391 batting line over 443 plate appearances in the majors, but he hasn’t really done anything at the big league level since 2009. The 28-year-old missed most of the 2010 season following knee surgery and spent the entire 2011 season with Triple-A Toledo. He appeared in three games with the Tigers this season before being designated for assignment on Wednesday, but didn’t have a plate appearance.
It seems like a pretty boring transaction on the surface, but since Thomas is capable of playing center field, one wonders if the Twins will be inclined to send Ben Revere down the minors. The 23-year-old only has 11 at-bats entering today’s action, so it might be best for him to be in a position to play everyday.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)