Apr 14, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
As speculated earlier this afternoon, the Twins just announced that outfielder Ben Revere has been optioned to Triple-A Rochester. Clete Thomas, who was claimed off waivers from the Tigers today, will take his place on the active roster.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as Revere was essentially being wasted on the Twins’ bench. While the 23-year-old opened spring training as the projected starter in right field, the Twins were forced to call an audible after Justin Morneau declared that he would prefer to be a designated hitter. This made Chris Parmelee the starting first baseman and Ryan Doumit the primary right fielder. As a result, Revere logged just 11 at-bats over the first eight games of the season.
Chances are we’ll see Revere again on the big league level pretty soon. Morneau could eventually feel well enough to play first base again and Doumit isn’t exactly an iron man.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 67
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)