Apr 14, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
As speculated earlier this afternoon, the Twins just announced that outfielder Ben Revere has been optioned to Triple-A Rochester. Clete Thomas, who was claimed off waivers from the Tigers today, will take his place on the active roster.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as Revere was essentially being wasted on the Twins’ bench. While the 23-year-old opened spring training as the projected starter in right field, the Twins were forced to call an audible after Justin Morneau declared that he would prefer to be a designated hitter. This made Chris Parmelee the starting first baseman and Ryan Doumit the primary right fielder. As a result, Revere logged just 11 at-bats over the first eight games of the season.
Chances are we’ll see Revere again on the big league level pretty soon. Morneau could eventually feel well enough to play first base again and Doumit isn’t exactly an iron man.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)