Apr 14, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
As speculated earlier this afternoon, the Twins just announced that outfielder Ben Revere has been optioned to Triple-A Rochester. Clete Thomas, who was claimed off waivers from the Tigers today, will take his place on the active roster.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as Revere was essentially being wasted on the Twins’ bench. While the 23-year-old opened spring training as the projected starter in right field, the Twins were forced to call an audible after Justin Morneau declared that he would prefer to be a designated hitter. This made Chris Parmelee the starting first baseman and Ryan Doumit the primary right fielder. As a result, Revere logged just 11 at-bats over the first eight games of the season.
Chances are we’ll see Revere again on the big league level pretty soon. Morneau could eventually feel well enough to play first base again and Doumit isn’t exactly an iron man.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)