Apr 14, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
As speculated earlier this afternoon, the Twins just announced that outfielder Ben Revere has been optioned to Triple-A Rochester. Clete Thomas, who was claimed off waivers from the Tigers today, will take his place on the active roster.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as Revere was essentially being wasted on the Twins’ bench. While the 23-year-old opened spring training as the projected starter in right field, the Twins were forced to call an audible after Justin Morneau declared that he would prefer to be a designated hitter. This made Chris Parmelee the starting first baseman and Ryan Doumit the primary right fielder. As a result, Revere logged just 11 at-bats over the first eight games of the season.
Chances are we’ll see Revere again on the big league level pretty soon. Morneau could eventually feel well enough to play first base again and Doumit isn’t exactly an iron man.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120