Yu Darvish dances around trouble in second major league start

Apr 14, 2012, 4:03 PM EST

Getty Yu Darvish Getty Images

The results were better in Yu Darvish‘s second major league start this afternoon against the Twins, but he was still pretty shaky.

Darvish allowed two runs (one earned) over 5 2/3 innings before being pulled after 102 pitches. Not too bad, right? Well, he also allowed 14 baserunners (nine hits, four walks and a hit batsman) and loaded the bases on three separate occasions, including when he was pulled for Robbie Ross in the bottom of the sixth. His line would have looked a lot worse if Ross didn’t get Justin Morneau to pop out to end the threat.

Through his first two starts, Darvish has allowed seven runs (six earned) on 17 hits over 11 1/3 innings to go along with an underwhelming 9/8 K/BB ratio. It’s way too soon to make any judgments about him moving forward, as he has fantastic stuff and a varied arsenal at his disposal, but he obviously needs to be a lot more efficient.

The Rangers ended up winning the game 6-2, as Adrian Beltre drove in a pair of runs and Josh Hamilton went 3-for-5 with a long solo home run.

1. redguy12588 - Apr 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He got very lucky from the sound of it.

2. biasedhomer - Apr 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Not impressed at all. Looks like they overpaid for a #2 type starter.

3. granted42 - Apr 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

6 earned on 17 hits in 11.1 innings against Seattle and Minnesota. It’ll be interesting to see how high his numbers rocket when he pitches against a team that can actually hit.

4. bjcowboys92 - Apr 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

why yall worried about darvish we thinking about a third trip to the ws

5. nikesparq - Apr 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

After watching Darvish, I’m not sold, these Japenese players are having a hard time adjusting I’m noticing, to be fair it’s too early to tell.

But really, that Rangers team is completely stacked with back up.

• Ben - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Way too early to tell. He needs time to adjust. But I’m skeptical too.

6. pandebailey - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM

So, Jarvish plays pretty bad, but somehow gets out of trouble and ends up winning?
    Ugh, let’s just hope we don’t have a Japanese “Tebow”….

7. randomdigits - Apr 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Is it still too early for me to say something about his pitch counts?

8. beefytrout - Apr 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Last time I checked, it was April 14th. Between the Maddux brothers and Ryan, I’m pretty sure they’ll be able to help Yu improve.

• randomdigits - Apr 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Check out his pitch counts in Japan prior to the introduction of the new ball last season. Darvish has never been pitch effective.

Great stuff but I don’t see him being that horse that can go out there and throw a CG and save the bullpen on a regular basis.

• pw38 - Apr 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

With the way their starting line up and bull pen works he doesn’t need to throw a CG and save the bullpen. Would it be nice? Of course and some will say a worn out bullpen was why they lost the world series but I don’t think so. Wash preaches just doing what they can to keep them in the game and let their brand of small ball and big bats win it for them. That’s what’s got them this far that’s what will help them eventually win a WS. Darvish has played two games so far, I see no reason at all to form some definitive opinion on him. That’s silly.

9. cur68 - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

My quick and dirty assessment: I think Darvish has too many pitches. He needs to 3 – 4 pitches, not that bandolier he’s sporting. I think this is why he keeps walking and plunking guys. Select his 4 best: so like 2 FBs (4S & cut), Curve, & Change (just to keep it real with Napoli) and run with that. It looks to me like he’s up there throwing sinkers/2 seamers, sliders & f-knows what else. He’s doing so much thinking about grip and delivery, he’s wild. Can’t think and pitch…I think that one’s been said before? He’s a drop and drive guy with plenty of velocity, so there is no need to get fancy.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester