Apr 15, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
Via Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal:
Carl Crawford will fly back to Fort Myers, Fla., on Monday and “more than likely” will play in his first extended-spring-training game on Tuesday, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.
Crawford has been on the 15-day disabled list since the start of the regular season due to lingering inflammation in his surgically-repaired left wrist.
He experienced a setback recently in the form of left elbow soreness, but it was only a minor issue and he was able to take batting practice Saturday in an indoor cage while the Red Sox hosted the Rays outside.
“He’s taken a lot of batting practice,” Valentine said Sunday morning. “He might have even been part of the inspiration for our play yesterday. He was taking it during the game in the cage. The sound was so loud that I think it inspired some of our guys to hit the ball hard. He was really making a loud noise in that batting cage.”
Crawford, who posted a disappointing .255/.289/.405 slash line in 2011, is expected to be ready in early May.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)