Apr 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
On April 15, 1947 — 65 years ago today — Jackie Robinson made his debut at Ebbets Field, breaking Major League Baseball’s color barrier in a 5-3 Brooklyn Dodgers victory over the visiting Boston Braves. On Sunday, the baseball world remembers and celebrates and collectively dons Jackie’s No. 42.
And if you haven’t already seen it, here is MLB’s fantastic promotional bit about Jackie Robinson Day, narrated by legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully. When Vin speaks, we should listen. When Vin speaks about Jackie, we should listen closer.
Honored and Proud to go out and play on Jackie Robinson Day #42 #ThankYouJackie
“Above anything else, I hate to lose.”Jackie Robinson
Thank u Jackie Robinson!!!
Honor and a pleasure to be rocking the new Nike Griffey Jr. Swingman Spikes for Jackie Robinson Day tomorrow!lockerz.com/s/201266349
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (75)