Apr 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
On April 15, 1947 — 65 years ago today — Jackie Robinson made his debut at Ebbets Field, breaking Major League Baseball’s color barrier in a 5-3 Brooklyn Dodgers victory over the visiting Boston Braves. On Sunday, the baseball world remembers and celebrates and collectively dons Jackie’s No. 42.
And if you haven’t already seen it, here is MLB’s fantastic promotional bit about Jackie Robinson Day, narrated by legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully. When Vin speaks, we should listen. When Vin speaks about Jackie, we should listen closer.
Honored and Proud to go out and play on Jackie Robinson Day #42 #ThankYouJackie
“Above anything else, I hate to lose.”Jackie Robinson
Thank u Jackie Robinson!!!
Honor and a pleasure to be rocking the new Nike Griffey Jr. Swingman Spikes for Jackie Robinson Day tomorrow!lockerz.com/s/201266349
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (84)