Apr 15, 2012, 7:58 PM EDT
It was Maier’s second career relief appearance and both have resulted in scoreless innings. Maier, who was drafted in the first round as a catcher before moving to the outfield, topped out at 78 mph on the gun. He gave up a one-out single to Michael Brantley, but Asdrubal Cabrera followed with a double-play ball to end the inning.
No word yet on Maier feels about pitching, but he’s probably just happy getting into games. Last year, he spent the entire season on the Kansas City roster, yet he got just 95 at-bats as the team’s fourth outfielder. His start in center today was his second of this season.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)