Picture of the Day: Cardinals get their World Series rings

Apr 15, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT

From Jon Jay‘s personal Twitter account comes this shot of the 27-year-old center fielder flashing his new “bling” alongside teammates David Freese, Allen Craig and Daniel Descalso:

source:

The Cardinals were presented with their 2011 World Series rings before Saturday’s 5-1 defeat of the Cubs. For a closer look at the jewelry, which features an image of the “rally squirrel,” see JoeSportsFan.com.

1. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM

The gold in those uniforms is just atrocious.

• paperlions - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

True, but you’d give your left nut to see gold on a Cubbies uni wouldn’t you?

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I’m not a Cubs fan, so I would probably much rather keep my testicle.

• paperlions - Apr 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Well….that’s just selfish. :-)

• spudchukar - Apr 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Envy is such an ugly emotion.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Envy has nothing to do with it … and even if it did, it wouldn’t be uglier than those uniforms.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

You are wasting your time Spud. I think Chip may have been dropped on his head as a toddler.

• spudchukar - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM

One can make a valid argument that the gold lettering is a little over the top, I get that. But from a purely sartorial perspective the look is pretty sweet.

• bearyinsane - Apr 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I’m a big Cards fan myself, and I thought the gold on the uniforms looked “okay.” The gold on the hat (STL lettering) did look unusual however. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I just didn’t care for that touch. Someone in a lower comment said they looked “dirty,” which I dont think is accurate, but just something “off” to me.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Much like your eye brows. Of course…if the Braves were sporting “commemorative” World Series jersey’s you would be down with that huh?

2. mvpolamalu - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

That must have been awkward when pujols got his

• paperlions - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

What, you don’t think the mail man high fived him?

• fearlessleader - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Screw Pujols and his lousy “I don’t care if I get my ring” attitude. This photo fills me with ridiculous delight—these guys worked their tails off last year (and will do so again this year) for a whole lot less money than the team’s superstars made. I’m thrilled for every one of them, and thrilled that whatever happens with them in the future, they seem to understand and appreciate the magical thing that happened in St. Louis in 2011, and they’re ready to go out and run themselves ragged to do it again.

[Even better than the squirrel, by the way: The engraved "HAPPY FLIGHT" on the inside of each ring band. But where's Torty?]

• paperlions - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The organization is showing a lot more unity than they have in the past…from the FO to the MLB roster to the minors……there is a general sense of “us” as opposed to everyone else in the organization being a “them” to each group.

The guys in the minors that got an invite to the major league camp have started a “happy ride” mantra for the teams in the minors. Just nice to see everyone pulling in the same direction.

• bearyinsane - Apr 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

@fearlessleader –
        FSMW had a pregame segment showing the design (process) of the ring. They did incorporate the rally squirrel. It’s located on the side of each ring below the individualized player’s last name and above the home plate. Bill Dewitt III was heavily involved in the designing of it as well (which I was oblivious to).

• fearlessleader - Apr 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Bearyinsane—yes, I know; I was asking about Torty Craig, another member of the animal kingdom who played a crucial role in the “11 in ’11” run. :)

3. paperlions - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Very cool picture. These guys came up through the minors together. When Craig caught the last out of the WS, Jay was in Center and Descalso was at third and they had a “can you believe we are all in the majors together and just won the WS” moment.

4. wherezwaldo - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

those hats are ballin

• hotkarlsandwich - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The gold on the hats make them look like they are dirty

5. hotkarlsandwich - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Great rings. God awful uniforms. A bit much for my taste. The Cards home uni is classic. Why screw with it?
    Bad job by an organization that usually gets things right.

• fearlessleader - Apr 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Fortunately, they’re very temporary.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4848)