Apr 15, 2012, 5:13 PM EST
Cardinals utilityman Skip Schumaker could be ready to join the big league roster later this week.
Schumaker has been on the disabled list since the start of the regular season because of a torn right oblique muscle that he suffered in mid-March.
He hit .283/.333/.351 with two homers and 38 RBI in 400 plate appearances last year for the World Series champs, and will provide a backup presence this summer at second base, left field, right field, and in center.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)