Bobby Valentine is really not having a stellar 24 hours

Apr 16, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT

Daniel Bard

First that dustup with Kevin Youkilis and now some bad in-game managing is making for a pretty crappy day for Bobby V.

Daniel Bard and James Shields were locked in a 0-0 pitchers’ duel. Bard had been effective all day, but effectively wild too, walking several. In the seventh inning Bard, already over 100 pitches on a hot day in one of his first few major league starts, started to tire.

With two outs, he walked Sean Rodriguez. Then he gave up a single to Desmond Jennings. He was visibly tired by this point, but Valentine didn’t pull him. Nope, he then let him walk Carlos Pena on four straight pitches to load the bases. Two outs, remember, in a 0-0 game, but on goes Bard.

Even Longoria comes up to bat. He too walks on four straight pitches, scoring Rodriguez.  It’s 1-0 Rays in the bottom of the seventh as I write this. UPDATE: That score held up. Rays win it 1-0.

Maybe we can call this Grady Little-level managing. Or maybe Bobby V. learned a lesson from the Youkilis thing and was just not wanting to appear to question the motivation of a second player in less than two days.  I guess someone will have to ask him after the game. Which should be fun.

1. dlindstedt2 - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Bobby Valentine… The Cancer in Boston… He wont last the year, the team will go get treated. This kind of stuff can’t last forever.

2. djdvd - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Francona must be loving this. Hell I’m loving it too.

3. eric174 - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

The same Terry Francona who lost the team last year and presided over an epic collapse.

He was fired for a reason.

• whatthehellisansky - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The same Terry Francona that won you 2 world series titles.

He was fired for a BAD reason.

• phukyouk - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Scapegoat… google it

• djdvd - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The definition of overreaction shouldn’t be used as your example eric. You forget he had one of the best teams in baseball before the pitching decided to collapse on him in the last month. Not much you can do then, no matter what manager you are.

• SOBEIT - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Did the pitchers collapse because of being drunk or hung over or because they were tired…hard to tell after all the hoopla last year.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Francona did make a mistake: he treated his players like grown men, assuming they would behave accordingly. He was wrong.

• cleverbob - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Francona would have known how to stretch out Bard. Perhaps a nutritional snack with plenty of protein between innings to keep his energy up. Some kind of lean meat, like chicken. And of course a nice, cold beverage to wash it down for refreshment and hydration. An ice cold, frothy beverage. Perfect for an unusually warm day like today, with that sun bearing down. Maybe even with a lime wedge if that’s your thing. So delicious…

What were we talking about?

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

But he also won 2 World Series rings, something Red Sox Nation had ever experienced prior. I think that alone buys him some praise. Meanwhile Bobby V, the goof that wears a mustache disguise when he is thrown out of a game, and with an ego the size of Texas is WAY over his head. Sure, it’s early, but Francona was able to whether the storm last year when the Sox started off horrible. Can Bobby V? He doesn’t even have the same team as Francona did.

4. xmatt0926x - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

This seems to be a slow burn building up to an eventual blowout for Valentine. I’m not a Sox fan but I have always found valentine to be interesting and entertaining. Just watching his many facial expressions while other analysts spoke on Baseball Tonight was hillarious. I also remember the famous glasses and nose incident when he was kicked out of that Mets game years back. I guess not being a fan of any team he has managed I haven’t seen the day to day Valentine that his players have to deal with. I can say that I wouldn’t like his style of taking cheap shots at his players through the media. I’m sure he feels that he’s somehow using this as a motivational tool to get his guys fired up, even at the expense of his own relationships with these players, but I just think it’s weak. I don’t remember him doing this when he was with the Mets, at least not so much. I don’t think that crap works. It seems to me that it may work once in a great while but it’s far more likely to grate on the players more than it motivates them. I once worked for a guy in the corporate world who had a philosophy of cheap shotting and trying to embarass his empolyees into working harder and it just doesn’t work. People work harder for people they have respect for. Bobby V may just be back to doing his exagerrated wincing and eye rolls on some other baseball show before too long. How about him and Tito on Baseball Tonight?

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’ll always remember the game he did last year in San Francisco, against the Indians. The Indians were just 2 games in back of Detroit at that point, in June. He said he thought the Indians should reload and rebuild from scratch again. There was utter silence in that broadcast booth after that statement. He is an idiot, although a very entertaining one.

5. whatthehellisansky - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

no matter where that loud mouthed idiot bobby v goes, failure will follow him.

Oh, except Japan.

As a matter of fact bobby, do us all a favor and go back. Stay there this time.

6. drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

If Valentine could keep his mouth shut…..

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM

He’s shown us that’s not possible because as we should all know, he knows more about baseball than anyone ever.

7. phukyouk - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Does Vegas have an over/under on how long he will last yet? i just hope that ESPN hires him back after he is fired to make it SOOOOOOOOOOOO mcuh more interesting.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I hope not…I’m already tired of Orel’s jibber jabber…can’t take anymore of Valentine. Announcers need to take a page from Vin Scully and know when to shut the hell up.

• phukyouk - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

not as bad a Lou on YES… hes just awful.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I’ve taken to muting all sports broadcasts and listening to music. I understand the game well enough to not have every nuance explained to me.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Except when Chris Wheeler is announcing…he is just awesome.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Scully talks constantly. I don’t know how he got the reputation of a guy who knows how to shut up.

What makes him good is that he has things to say.

8. paperlions - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

That was just bad managing….then in the next 1/2 inning he followed it up by having a 32 yr old OF with 28 career steals run on a 3-2 count with one out against a catcher that has thrown out 40% of would-be base stealers during his career. That’s a pretty big risk for a relatively small potential reward.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

You are absolutely right Paper. I’ve maintained for awhile that he is a very mediocre manager. When somebody is best known for wearing a disguise after being ejected, that really tells the tale.

• paperlions - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Valentine is one of those guys where there are far too many “hey, look at me, I’m managing” moments.

9. buffalomafia - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Francona next Yankees coach?

• bravojawja - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

We can only hope so.

• phukyouk - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

that would be awesome. i can see it happen but i doubt it.

10. cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Game over. 1 – 0 for the Rays. Wow. Valentine’s gonna get raked over the coals for this. However, I notice that ‘Nando Rodney can still really heave it. Can’t aim for sh** though. Where was that ‘effin strike zone? None of the pitches to Cody Ross were strikes.

• oldpaddy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Ump must have a plane to catch.

• cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I dunno about having a plane to catch, but he certainly did have a 1 – 0 game to umpire. Cody Ross has been en fuego so far this season. He’d have swung at strikes. Bat never left his shoulder on the called strikes. WTF /..\? Total umpire fail.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Be that as it may, Cur….still, after the first two strikes that were clearly outside, does he not have an obligation to adjust and protect the plate with two strikes?

• cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yep. In fact, if I recall correctly, strikes 1 & 3 pitches were in about the same spot. Only thing, I don’t think he could have reached them. ’bout 3 or 4 inches outside. Rodney really got the benefit of the doubt. Hope the ump was flyin’ 1st class.

11. oldpaddy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

LMFAO!!! Watching NESN and even Gammons thinks Bobby V left Bard in too long!
    Can’t wait to listen to WEEI
    F Bobby V!

12. crispybasil - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I’m okay with winning three out of four and scoring 30+ against Tampa Bay, which is where the focus should be.

Didn’t see the last at bat today, but from all accounts, Rodney didn’t throw a strike.

13. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Has nobody mentioned Valentine letting banjo-hitting Punto hit in the 8th instead of pinch hitting for him…say a guy by the last name of Youkilis? That was beyond asinine.

• phukyouk - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

no friggin way… that guy is not “physically or emotionally” into the game this season…

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Yeah but Punto is scrappy. Everybody knows that he puts everything he has physically and mentally into the game. Seriously, don’t you know that that more that compensates for the .653 career OPS. The fact that Youk has a career .880 OPS is irrelevant.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I’m upset that Punto is even on the roster.

14. uyf1950 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Allowing Bard to continue in the game after 100 pitches was “Grady Little” type mistake. Traditionally (with very few exceptions) Bard has thrown about 20 or 25 pitches in any 1 game at most. To have or allow him to go over 100 when he obviously was pretty spent is a rookie managers mistake.

15. spudchukar - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Since I was rooting for the Rays, I was more than pleased when he left Bard in to hand the game to Tampa. This was certainly not February 14th.

16. gregbeau - Apr 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I was watching the game and when Valentine sent out McClure, the pitching coach, instead of going out himself, I figured he was doing that because he didn’t want to get booed. It did strike me as odd that he didn’t take out Bard at that point, who was obviously gassed. When he finally did come out to remove Bard one batter too late, the crowd reaction was mixed. One thing I know is that Youkalis is well-liked in Boston whereas Valentine is at best tolerated at the moment. You do not criticize Red Sox heroes in that town and get away with it. I do not see him lasting long unless they win the whole thing, which seems unlikely this year. He seems a very poor fit for this team.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I was listening via radio and it seemed that the crowd intitially cheered for Bard’s performance then later changed to boos for Valentine and his head up his ass style.

I was supporting Valentine when he got hired, thinking he would do a great job and quiet all the nay-sayers but shit like this is exactly what people predicted.

17. stex52 - Apr 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Managers don’t win many games for the team, but they can sure lose a lot when they decide to show off their managing skills.

18. petey1999 - Apr 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

So this is what it’s going to be like for Valentine in Boston – damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t? It’s become clear that unless the man wins 150 in a row, he will be a bum. And even then, there will likely be some story line that he cheated – taking some kind of managerial PEDs. And let’s please move on from 2011 – the recriminations and finger pointing is just boring. I will be watching (hoping) for some indication of objectivity at least from Craig if not from the rest of you bandwagoners.

• micker716 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

PED’s and Craig, they go together like fried chicken and beer. Seriously though, you’re right. I don’t like Valentine, Mrs. Valentine doesn’t like Valentine, nobody likes Valentine, but it’s mid-April and they just took 3 out of 4 from the Ray’s. Breathe.

All the trade deadline news to know