Apr 16, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The Atlanta Braves announced this morning that they are going to retire John Smoltz‘s jersey and induct him into the Atlanta Braves Hall of Fame. There will be a ceremony honoring him June 8.
Well-deserved. There’s little need to recount Smoltz’s importance to those Braves teams that won the division nearly every single year. Overall, he was 213-155 with a 3.33 ERA and 3084 strikeouts in 3473 innings pitched. Oh, and he tacked on 154 saves and a 15-4, 2.67 record in the postseason.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)