Derek Jeter to get an honorary doctorate from Siena

Apr 16, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Reuters

Oh the benches were stained with tears and perspiration, the birdies were flying from tree to tree. There was little to say, there was no conversation, as I stepped to the stage to pick up my degree:

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will receive an honorary doctorate from Siena during its May 13 commencement.

Siena says it chose to give the degree to Jeter “in recognition of his leadership, accomplishments on the baseball field and dedication to improving the lives of young people through his Turn 2 Foundation.”

The degree will also make a note that he minored in clutchiness and captaincy.

1. uyf1950 - Apr 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM

For those of you who can never think of what to get the person that has everything. Here you go. How about an “honorary doctorate from Siena”.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Don’t even ask me to comment

• proudlycanadian - Apr 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM

We wont ask Len; however, my fantasy team is pleasantly surprised by how well he has hit so far this season.

• cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Let me do it for you then, Len: “Beep, Beep, I’m a Jeep! Get out of my way, the Doctor is comin’ thru”. And then there will be gift baskets with apples in them, to go along with his balls.

• bigharold - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Len,

Leave Jeter Alone!

“The degree will also make a note that he minored in clutchiness and captaincy.”

He also made the Dean’s list for intangibles! So he’s got that going for him.

3. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM

After May 13th the infamous Gift Baskets will contain a sceptre with wings and 2 snakes intertwined serpents in instead of an autogrpahed baseball.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

oh and, edit function please.

4. joshfrancis50 - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

“No. Not just any degree, but a doctorate”, Siena’s president exclaims as he pisses on all of those PhDers who struggled through their respective theses.

• ezthinking - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Except an honorary doctorate in lending your name to a fundraiser isn’t going to be taking food out of the mouths of any other doctorate degree holders.

So nice move Siena, you made the news.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Will they be raffling off giftbaskets to the attractive young ladies?

• Max Power - Apr 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I don’t think Jeter has published enough of his research to be competing against the legitimate docs for entry level teaching positions at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

• joshfrancis50 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Max Power is the name I’d like to touch.

5. lyon810 - Apr 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM

the crayon?

6. fierogirl - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Doctor Jeter

7. leftywildcat - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

This doesn’t change my opinion of Jeter one way or the other. But it sure changes my opinion of Siena — it’s a total joke now.

8. genericcommenter - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

While this is nice, I think it’s been acknowledged that Jeter’s had his P.H.D. for several years now.

9. freeagentsignee - Jun 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM