Apr 16, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
The deal has two different structures, but this breakdown is assuming the 22-year-old left-hander doesn’t reach Super Two status this offseason:
2014: $3.75 million
2015: $6.75 million
2016: $9.75 million
2017: $11.5 million
The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million buyout on either option, so he is guaranteed $35 million over the life of the contract. That’s a record commitment for a pitcher with between one and two years of service time. He would be guaranteed $40 million if he qualifies as Super Two this winter, though that scenario appears unlikely at the moment.
The option years are worth $12 million each and include escalators. The first option will be guaranteed if Bumgarner throws 200 innings in 2017 or 400 innings between 2016-17. If he finishes in the top three of the Cy Young at any time, both options are $14 million. If he wins a Cy Young award, both options become $16 million.
Bumgarner could make a total of $70.5 million if he becomes a Super Two player this winter and maxes out on the two option years, but if it happens, chances are the Giants will be pretty pleased with the whole thing.
The contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which allows Bumgarner to pick eight teams each year where he cannot be dealt.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)