Apr 16, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The deal has two different structures, but this breakdown is assuming the 22-year-old left-hander doesn’t reach Super Two status this offseason:
2014: $3.75 million
2015: $6.75 million
2016: $9.75 million
2017: $11.5 million
The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million buyout on either option, so he is guaranteed $35 million over the life of the contract. That’s a record commitment for a pitcher with between one and two years of service time. He would be guaranteed $40 million if he qualifies as Super Two this winter, though that scenario appears unlikely at the moment.
The option years are worth $12 million each and include escalators. The first option will be guaranteed if Bumgarner throws 200 innings in 2017 or 400 innings between 2016-17. If he finishes in the top three of the Cy Young at any time, both options are $14 million. If he wins a Cy Young award, both options become $16 million.
Bumgarner could make a total of $70.5 million if he becomes a Super Two player this winter and maxes out on the two option years, but if it happens, chances are the Giants will be pretty pleased with the whole thing.
The contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which allows Bumgarner to pick eight teams each year where he cannot be dealt.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car