Apr 16, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
The deal has two different structures, but this breakdown is assuming the 22-year-old left-hander doesn’t reach Super Two status this offseason:
2014: $3.75 million
2015: $6.75 million
2016: $9.75 million
2017: $11.5 million
The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million buyout on either option, so he is guaranteed $35 million over the life of the contract. That’s a record commitment for a pitcher with between one and two years of service time. He would be guaranteed $40 million if he qualifies as Super Two this winter, though that scenario appears unlikely at the moment.
The option years are worth $12 million each and include escalators. The first option will be guaranteed if Bumgarner throws 200 innings in 2017 or 400 innings between 2016-17. If he finishes in the top three of the Cy Young at any time, both options are $14 million. If he wins a Cy Young award, both options become $16 million.
Bumgarner could make a total of $70.5 million if he becomes a Super Two player this winter and maxes out on the two option years, but if it happens, chances are the Giants will be pretty pleased with the whole thing.
The contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which allows Bumgarner to pick eight teams each year where he cannot be dealt.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)