Apr 16, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The deal has two different structures, but this breakdown is assuming the 22-year-old left-hander doesn’t reach Super Two status this offseason:
2014: $3.75 million
2015: $6.75 million
2016: $9.75 million
2017: $11.5 million
The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and a $1.5 million buyout on either option, so he is guaranteed $35 million over the life of the contract. That’s a record commitment for a pitcher with between one and two years of service time. He would be guaranteed $40 million if he qualifies as Super Two this winter, though that scenario appears unlikely at the moment.
The option years are worth $12 million each and include escalators. The first option will be guaranteed if Bumgarner throws 200 innings in 2017 or 400 innings between 2016-17. If he finishes in the top three of the Cy Young at any time, both options are $14 million. If he wins a Cy Young award, both options become $16 million.
Bumgarner could make a total of $70.5 million if he becomes a Super Two player this winter and maxes out on the two option years, but if it happens, chances are the Giants will be pretty pleased with the whole thing.
The contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which allows Bumgarner to pick eight teams each year where he cannot be dealt.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)