Apr 16, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Josh Collmenter struggled this spring and has coughed up 11 runs in seven innings through two starts, leading to speculation that he might not be long for the Diamondbacks’ rotation despite a very solid rookie season that saw him throw 154 innings with a 3.38 ERA.
Kirk Gibson confirmed to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that Collmenter will make his next scheduled start Thursday, but declined to say that the right-hander’s rotation spot was safe beyond that.
Collmenter told Gilbert that he’s struggling mentally as much as physically by “trying to think of too many things rather than just throwing the ball” and “it becomes clogged up with thoughts.”
Collmenter rarely tops 90 miles per hour with his fastball, has an odd over-the-top delivery, and was never considered a top prospect in the minors, all of which played a role in his not reaching the majors until age 25 and may also lead to him having a shorter leash now that he’s there. Toss in the fact that the Diamondbacks have several very promising young pitching prospects close to being MLB-ready and he might be pitching for his job Thursday versus Atlanta.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)