Apr 16, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Mariners have signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Hersin Martinez for $1.1 million, which is a move that has apparently been in the works since way back in July.
Martinez is 6-foot-5 and Badler says his raw power “stacks up favorably against anyone in Latin America” despite the fact that he hasn’t really started to fill out yet.
However, Badler also notes that the right-handed-hitting corner outfielder “has a hitch in his swing” and “the question many scouts have is whether he’ll make enough contact for that power to translate to game situations.”
Check out Baseball America for the full scouting report.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 101
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 3
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (104)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)