Apr 16, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Mariners have signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Hersin Martinez for $1.1 million, which is a move that has apparently been in the works since way back in July.
Martinez is 6-foot-5 and Badler says his raw power “stacks up favorably against anyone in Latin America” despite the fact that he hasn’t really started to fill out yet.
However, Badler also notes that the right-handed-hitting corner outfielder “has a hitch in his swing” and “the question many scouts have is whether he’ll make enough contact for that power to translate to game situations.”
Check out Baseball America for the full scouting report.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 4
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 9
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles