Apr 16, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Mariners have signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Hersin Martinez for $1.1 million, which is a move that has apparently been in the works since way back in July.
Martinez is 6-foot-5 and Badler says his raw power “stacks up favorably against anyone in Latin America” despite the fact that he hasn’t really started to fill out yet.
However, Badler also notes that the right-handed-hitting corner outfielder “has a hitch in his swing” and “the question many scouts have is whether he’ll make enough contact for that power to translate to game situations.”
Check out Baseball America for the full scouting report.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12