Apr 16, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Mariners have signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Hersin Martinez for $1.1 million, which is a move that has apparently been in the works since way back in July.
Martinez is 6-foot-5 and Badler says his raw power “stacks up favorably against anyone in Latin America” despite the fact that he hasn’t really started to fill out yet.
However, Badler also notes that the right-handed-hitting corner outfielder “has a hitch in his swing” and “the question many scouts have is whether he’ll make enough contact for that power to translate to game situations.”
Check out Baseball America for the full scouting report.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)