Apr 16, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
In ATH this morning we mentioned that in yesterday’s Padres-Dodgers game home plate umpire Dale Scott held his hands up suggesting “dead ball” on the play that resulted in that 2-5-6-3 double play. The runners all froze at the hand signals, assuming the play was dead.
The play was reviewed by Major League Baseball, and here’s the official statement from senior vice president of baseball operations, Peter Woodfork:
“After review and discussion with the umpire, we have determined that the call itself of a fair ball was correct. However, while making the call, there was an incorrect mechanic, which appeared to confuse San Diego’s base runners. At no time did the umpire verbally kill the play on the field. After reviewing the entire situation following the game, the umpire realizes his hands were in an exaggerated upward appearance similar to a call that would indicate a dead ball. While we all agree that it was a fair ball that did not hit the batter, the umpire recognizes that the proper mechanic was not executed as he tried to avoid the catcher.”
Hurm. Given the likelihood that verbal rulings might not be heard by baserunners in a loud stadium, one would think that the hand signals should trump what the ump says (or in this case doesn’t say, which is “foul ball”).
But I would assume ruling in such a fashion would have required a replay of the ninth inning of yesterday’s game, yes? And that baseball wouldn’t really want to do that.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)