Apr 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
For over three years the Oakland A’s have waited patiently for Major League Baseball to do … something with respect to their planned move to San Jose. Major League Baseball has studied it, they claim, but we all know that the study was a b.s. time killer. They could have researched and built an atom bomb in that time, so determining something like “San Jose > Oakland” wouldn’t have been too big a trick.
The A’s are tired of waiting. As the San Francisco Chronicle has learned that the A’s are going to try for an up-or-down vote on the San Jose move next month:
The Chronicle has learned that the A’s plan to put their stadium issue onto the agenda for next month’s owners meetings in New York.
A major-league source said the team is placing the stadium issue on the agenda in the hopes that a vote will be taken on the A’s desire to move to San Jose. The A’s have been waiting for more than three years for the issue to be resolved.
Given that the Giants oppose the move on territorial grounds and given that most other teams would likely not want to set a precedent which could undermine their own territorial rights, one presumes that the vote, if taken, will go against Oakland.
Which may be what they want and expect. Right now, one would think, they just want out of limbo. And forcing a vote on it may goose Major League Baseball into figuring out something for them, one way or another.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)