Apr 16, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
For over three years the Oakland A’s have waited patiently for Major League Baseball to do … something with respect to their planned move to San Jose. Major League Baseball has studied it, they claim, but we all know that the study was a b.s. time killer. They could have researched and built an atom bomb in that time, so determining something like “San Jose > Oakland” wouldn’t have been too big a trick.
The A’s are tired of waiting. As the San Francisco Chronicle has learned that the A’s are going to try for an up-or-down vote on the San Jose move next month:
The Chronicle has learned that the A’s plan to put their stadium issue onto the agenda for next month’s owners meetings in New York.
A major-league source said the team is placing the stadium issue on the agenda in the hopes that a vote will be taken on the A’s desire to move to San Jose. The A’s have been waiting for more than three years for the issue to be resolved.
Given that the Giants oppose the move on territorial grounds and given that most other teams would likely not want to set a precedent which could undermine their own territorial rights, one presumes that the vote, if taken, will go against Oakland.
Which may be what they want and expect. Right now, one would think, they just want out of limbo. And forcing a vote on it may goose Major League Baseball into figuring out something for them, one way or another.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)