The Roger Clemens trial begins again, this time with more government lawyers

Apr 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Roger Clemens leaves the federal courthouse with attorney Rusty Hardin in Washington

Last July, Roger Clemens went on trial for lying to Congress. It didn’t last long, as the case was thrown out when the prosecutors blatantly disobeyed the judge’s order and played a video to the jury in which a congressman read affidavit testimony by Andy Pettitte’s wife. Which was eight kinds of inadmissible.

Today the prosecutors get a second bite at the apple, as jury selection begins for the retrial. And the prosecutors are leaving nothing to chance:

The legendary former pitcher, who famously reveled in staring down hitters, will face a prosecution lineup of five lawyers – more than double the two from the first trial.

Because adding more lawyers to a case always makes it better. Especially a pretty simple case like this one, the hype surrounding it notwithstanding.

But hey, these lawyers have to have something to do, what with the PED investigation against Lance Armstrong fizzling into nothing and the Barry Bonds prosecution ending. Better that they be in court prosecuting a long-retired athlete over some old testimony than doing almost anything else, right?

1. 28loose - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

What a waste of time and money.

• patrian25 - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

What do you mean. $5-6 million to lock this national security threat up for 6 months. How is that not a good deal for the taxpayers?

Hell 90% of the things the Federal Government does is waste.

Clemens is an idiot though. The only lie you are allowed to tell to a Congressional Hearing is the one told by nearly EVERYONE called to testify:

“I can’t recall.”.

It’s not a good day in DC unless the president, congress, lobbysists, corporate leaders, and the press all tell a few good lies. They get big paycheks and lavish pensions to do it too.

• 28loose - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

National security threat? For telling a lie about whether he took something to make him throw a ball faster and better than most people?

I’ll admit, last week I was pretty concerned for my health and safety in this country, but now that they are going after this guy I feel much better.

• cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Try our new “Irony/Sarcasm Font™” patrian25.Yes, with our new, in-house developed, all natural, clear, low-calorie, extra sexy “Irony/Sarcasm Font™”, you will be able to safely convey a thought, show support, and be a Wit without fear of misunderstanding. $29.99: send cash.

*warning: If you use “Irony/Sarcasm Font™” and your erection lasts longer than four hours (priapism), consult a doctor immediately. Treatment of this condition should not be delayed more than six hours, as this can cause damage to the erectile tissue in the penis and irreversible erectile dysfunction.*

2. mybrunoblog - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Really shocking that the Feds hire such incompetant attorneys. This time however Clemens won’t walk. He will be found guilty and his arrogant ass will do 3 to 5 years in a low security federal pen…Bye bye Roger…..and by the way…no Hof for you either.

• 28loose - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

He will DEFINITELY not do three to five years. Maybe six months, a year at the most.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Thank goodness the author was there to explain that 5 was more than twice as much as 2. That’s the kind of hard-hitting analysis I’m looking for in my reporting.

• paperlions - Apr 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM

As a research scientist at a large public institution, I am regularly exposed to the “best and brightest” produced by our educational system. What I have learned is that you can not be too careful in your explanations and things like pointing out that 2 is more than twice as many (it isn’t twice as much, it is twice as many) as five is pretty much required.

4. yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Does this mean, with five lawyers, that the trial will take half as long, or twice as long? Forgot the lawyer-speed multiple.
    Leave Roger alone, but only because NO ONE CARES!

• jwbiii - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I think that with more lawyers, it’s more likely that one of them will screw up again, leading to another mistrial.

5. exhibits5 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

throw this. lien jerk in the fed penitentiary for at least 2yrs and say goodbye to th(e hall of fame. you’re. cheating azz ruined the game of. BASEBALL

6. charlutes - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Clemmons is the only steroids guy I even kind of wanted to see prosecuted, simply because I think lying to a grand jury should mean something. I do think the prosecution was paid off and they intentionally presented evidence that would kill the case. its too obvious to be a mistake.

7. proudlycanadian - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

According to Michael McCann of SI.com, the judge in this case has a tendency towards long sentences.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Whatever the case, I hope he pays for lying under oath, and I hope this is a lesson to ballplayers who try to beat the system with illegal substances and/or throwing those closest to them under the bus. Your ego ruined your legacy, Roger. I’m sick of jackasses like you ruining my favorite sport.

• patrian25 - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Yea!

$5-6 million well spent. Who cares about all of the people who have lied under oath the past 10 years about the minor stuff like WMDs, bailouts, financial collapse, Federal Reserve loans, Jessica Lynch, Pat Tillman, ect. I mean that stuff doesn’t hurt baseball so I say spend the money where it counts!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

By my above comment, I wasn’t referencing any other cases. I simply want Clemens to pay.

9. charlutes - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

well said.

10. bleed4philly - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Our tax dollars at work.

11. buffalomafia - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This mamaluke is guilty!!!!!!

12. buffalomafia - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Oooooh by the way! You can now get testosterone pills @ GNC & andro cream also!

• jwbiii - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Androstenedione was banned in 2005. Has that been overturned?

13. buffalomafia - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I seen a commercial on andro cream & thete is this stuff called” agelessman” which is a testosterone pill.

14. jimbo1949 - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM

According to the judge from the first trial the biggest controversy then among the jurors was: why are we wasting money on this BS.
    535 of the biggest liars in the country are upset over being lied to. You can’t demand respect, but you can earn it.

15. lostsok - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

It’s the simplest rule in life: never commit a felony to cover up a misdemeanor.

16. djm426 - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Who cares

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2433)