Apr 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Last July, Roger Clemens went on trial for lying to Congress. It didn’t last long, as the case was thrown out when the prosecutors blatantly disobeyed the judge’s order and played a video to the jury in which a congressman read affidavit testimony by Andy Pettitte’s wife. Which was eight kinds of inadmissible.
Today the prosecutors get a second bite at the apple, as jury selection begins for the retrial. And the prosecutors are leaving nothing to chance:
The legendary former pitcher, who famously reveled in staring down hitters, will face a prosecution lineup of five lawyers – more than double the two from the first trial.
Because adding more lawyers to a case always makes it better. Especially a pretty simple case like this one, the hype surrounding it notwithstanding.
But hey, these lawyers have to have something to do, what with the PED investigation against Lance Armstrong fizzling into nothing and the Barry Bonds prosecution ending. Better that they be in court prosecuting a long-retired athlete over some old testimony than doing almost anything else, right?
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)