Apr 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Last July, Roger Clemens went on trial for lying to Congress. It didn’t last long, as the case was thrown out when the prosecutors blatantly disobeyed the judge’s order and played a video to the jury in which a congressman read affidavit testimony by Andy Pettitte’s wife. Which was eight kinds of inadmissible.
Today the prosecutors get a second bite at the apple, as jury selection begins for the retrial. And the prosecutors are leaving nothing to chance:
The legendary former pitcher, who famously reveled in staring down hitters, will face a prosecution lineup of five lawyers – more than double the two from the first trial.
Because adding more lawyers to a case always makes it better. Especially a pretty simple case like this one, the hype surrounding it notwithstanding.
But hey, these lawyers have to have something to do, what with the PED investigation against Lance Armstrong fizzling into nothing and the Barry Bonds prosecution ending. Better that they be in court prosecuting a long-retired athlete over some old testimony than doing almost anything else, right?
Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Moss is hitting just .217/.208/.487 this season but he has a line of .254/.340/.504 over the previous three years.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Even if the deal wasn’t done, the Mets should’ve taken Wilmer Flores out of the game.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:33 AM EDT
Trades are judged twice: when they’re made and a couple of years later when we see how they turned out. For now, however, this is a win-win deal for Texas and Philadelphia.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 AM EDT
The Astros regain the lead in the AL West by taking another one from the Angels.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:12 AM EDT
In a bit of an oddity, two World Series contenders made a trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Unique situation Wednesday night at Citi Field.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Houston defeated Anaheim 6-3 to jump back into first place in the American League West.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
It’s a massive two-team, eight-player blockbuster deal that will net the Phillies a frontline starter for this year and years to come while injecting more young talent into the Phillies’ under-construction minor league system.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
It’s now even more imperative that St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak secures a first baseman before the July 31 trade deadline.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
What a crazy night.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki struck out swinging in his first Blue Jays at-bat Wednesday night against the Phillies, but he unloaded on this Jerome Williams pitch in his second trip to the plate …
Jul 29, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
There’s been a lot of speculation that these two could be a fit, and now it may be close to happening …
Jul 29, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Andrew McCutchen launched a traditional two-run homer in the top of the fifth inning Wednesday in the Pirates’ 10-4 rout of the Twins and then went Little League style in the top of the sixth …
Jul 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
An MRI taken Tuesday ruled out anything serious, but Trout does have a bit of wrist inflammation.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
The very latest on the Cole Hamels trade front …
Jul 29, 2015, 5:21 PM EDT
The trade deadline be crazy.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Bradley gets another chance in Boston.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
They’re in fourth place and their best player isn’t coming back for a month. Makes all sorts of sense.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Some real old school mentality being demonstrated there.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 34
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 99
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)