Apr 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
When a celebrity — especially a local sports star — shows up on the jumbotron at a ballpark wearing the local team’s gear, you can almost always expect for the crowd to cheer. Almost:
Tim Tebow has work to do if he’s going to win over New York sports fans.
The new backup quarterback for the Jets was booed at Yankee Stadium on Sunday night when he was shown on the giant video board – even though he was wearing a Yankees cap.
Sitting in the third row next to the Los Angeles Angels dugout, Tebow cracked a smile and acknowledged the camera. There was a smattering of cheers, but most of the initial reactions were boos.
I didn’t see it when it happened, but the guy was sitting next to Dwayne Wade at the time. Did they show him too? Maybe that had something to do with it?
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 19
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 40
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)