Tim Tebow booed at Yankee Stadium

Apr 16, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT

Dwayne Wade, Tim Tebow

When a celebrity — especially a local sports star — shows up on the jumbotron at a ballpark wearing the local team’s gear, you can almost always expect for the crowd to cheer. Almost:

Tim Tebow has work to do if he’s going to win over New York sports fans.

The new backup quarterback for the Jets was booed at Yankee Stadium on Sunday night when he was shown on the giant video board – even though he was wearing a Yankees cap.

Sitting in the third row next to the Los Angeles Angels dugout, Tebow cracked a smile and acknowledged the camera. There was a smattering of cheers, but most of the initial reactions were boos.

I didn’t see it when it happened, but the guy was sitting next to Dwayne Wade at the time. Did they show him too? Maybe that had something to do with it?

1. Kevin S. - Apr 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Nope, Wade got cheered once he held up his Yankee hat. Those boos for Tebow were legit.

And you think we’re delusional when we say we’re the best fans in the country. That’s doing it right, Yankee fans.

• Lukehart80 - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM

You’ve booed Mariano Rivera too. You’re still terrible fans.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

You’re just jealous.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Ummmm. Eli Manning would have been cheered, and maybe it was guilt by association if it even happened to any degree. You gotta understand what an effete corps of impudent snobs us Yankees fans are.

• Old Gator - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I think we understand.

3. pisano - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

That’ll be like a standing ovation compared to what Jet fans will do if he doesn’t perform well during a Jet game. Ask Sanchez, he went from the penthouse to the shit house with most Jet fans.

• nflfollower - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Bear in mind sanchez earned his shit house status on the field over the course of several seasons with atrocious play that could land him nowhere else.

• Kevin S. - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Bear in mind that Sanchez didn’t actually get any worse, the team just stopped winning in spite of his shitty play. Which would have happened to Tebow in Denver if he’d stayed out there.

4. clarenceoveur - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I know everything Tebow related has to become a story everywhere, but is it that much more complicated than most Yankee fans are also Giants fans?

• daisycutter1 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

No, it isn’t any more complicated than that. NY baseball/football fandom typically lines up Yankees/Giants & Mets/Jets, the Giants won the Super Bowl, and Tebow going to the Jets took up an absurd amount of media time & attention.

Hence boos for Tebow.

That said, I expect Jets fans to be booing him for what he does on the football field come summer/fall.

5. hittfamily - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Would you rather:
    A) Be a 25 year old virgin who chops tips off penis’ all over the world, but is a QB in the NFL who is worth millions and sits front row in Yankee stadium.

B) Not a 25 year old virgin, can’t afford yankees cheap seats.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Is this going to start another cake vs. pie debate? Could get frightenly graphic!

• HitsDingers - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM

If you insist.

• HitsDingers - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  6. Lukehart80 - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I guess Tebow hasn’t heard:

7. amhendrick - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

What’s the overlap of football and baseball fans in NY? By that I mean are most Yankees fans also (football) Giants fans, and Mets fans are Jets fans? Or vice-versa? Or is there no relation at all?

• Kevin S. - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s not hard and fast (I know a good number of Mets/Giants and Yankees/Jets), but it does seem to be the dominant trend.

• sdelmonte - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I think in the day, when the Giants played in the Bronx and the Jets in Queens, there was a strong correlation. I was a fan of both Mets and Jets as a kid.

I think as time has passed and both football teams live outside the city, the lines have blurred. In my case, I abandoned the Jets in my teens in a fit of pique about their leaving Queens, and am a rabid and fanatic Giants fan. At the same time, I root for the Jets much of the time now as well (though I much prefer the classy Giants to the Rex Ryan Show.)

I think that the Mets/Yankees divide is matched in NYC only by Rangers/Islanders (and I have to say, it’s hard to care much about that when the Islanders are the single worst franchise in the area).

Lastly, as a Giants fan, I wouldn’t waste my time booing Tebow. I don’t care for him, but it’s not like he’s on a team I hate. Like, say, Wade.

8. fmlizard - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Tebow ought to find a way to contribute to the Jets early, because they aren’t going to like him for any other reason. NYC is the world capital of Godless secularism. This isn’t the deep south anymore.

9. stairwayto7 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Can’t wait to see Tebow cry!

10. mybrunoblog - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Most Yankees fans are NY football Giants fans so it makes sense that we would boo a Jets player.
    That said Tebow is pretty popular so I am a bit surprised.Iwonder if the media is inflating the story? Like there were some boos and some cheers? Sitting next to a Miami Heat player didn’t help him either.

11. deathmonkey41 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think once he finally comes out, he’ll be a lot more likeable. Well, not so much by the religious crowd that defends his awful quarterbacking, but by most everyone else, I think.-

12. astrosfan75956 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Yankees fans are also Giants fans, as Mets fans are mostly Jets supporters.

13. whatthehellisansky - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

OK- I was at this game. They put Wade on the diamondvision and he got mercilessly booed until he put his Yankee cap on, which is when the crowd cheered. I honestly didnt even notice Tebow – the camera was on wade – tebow just happenned to be in the frame. They showed Tebow later on in the game and noone booed.

I had a few drinks so I may be wrong, but im pretty sure it was Wade they booed, not jesus’s favorite quarterback.

14. torothebronxbull - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

LoL! Welcome to New York!! SKRUB!!!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3218)