Vin Scully returns to Dodgers broadcast booth after illness

Apr 16, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Vin Scully was back in the Dodgers’ broadcast booth yesterday after missing the home opener and a total of five games with a strong cold.

It was good timing for the 84-year-old legend’s return, as he was able to regale listeners with first-hand stories on Jackie Robinson Day.

Scully revealed that he first felt sick and “couldn’t stop coughing” during the April 7 game against the Padres and finally decided he had to miss some time when doctors told he was “one click away from pneumonia”:

I was so angry at myself for being sick. But then I thought, I didn’t do anything to make myself sick, so I could just be angry at the fates. There was disappointment and, of course, a little self-pity. Finally, I decided that was enough of the emotion, let’s see if I can get myself well. …  It was heartbreaking not being here. I had all kinds of emotions, many of which were humility, because I am just a regular guy. I am the most ordinary guy you could ever meet in your life, and I was given a gift, that gift being to call the games. And so I cherish every day on this earth

The best.

1. cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Had some great Robinson stories, too. I really enjoyed that Dodgers game: Scully was in excellent form. The time off did him good.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Vin did sound a little froggy to me during that Padres game.
    Hopefully not for years, but there will be dust storms around HBT land should we lose Vin, Yogi, or Moose.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Man, don’t even say it.

3. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Just great. I’ve tuned in to every game for the past week, hoping to hear Vin, and yesterday’s game I didn’t bother, figuring he was still sick. Glad he’s feeling better. Had a psychic moment thinking this could’ve been pneumonia.

4. thomas2727 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Vin even told the story yesterday of the Dodgers being the first team to wear numbers on the front of their jerseys. And how they beat the Giants that day.

The guy is a living history book.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3965)