Youkilis, Pedroia respond to Bobby V’s comments

Apr 16, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT

Bobby Valentine Reuters Reuters

Not surprisingly, Kevin Youkilis was asked about Bobby Valentine’s comment that Youk was not “physically or emotionally into the game.”  Rob Bradford of WEEI has his comments:

“That’s not what I see. I go out every day and play as hard as I can. I take every ground ball in the morning, take every at-bat like it’s my last. I don’t think my game has changed at all … I’m more confused than anything, because I think everyone knows I go out and play the game as hard as I can.”

Dustin Pedroia, who is never one to mince words, commented as well, and he is not a big fan of Valentine calling Youkilis out publicly. Again, Bradford:

“I don’t really understand what Bobby’s trying to do. But that’s really not the way we go about our stuff here. I’m sure he’ll figure that out soon.  We’ve got Youk’s back. He’s played his [butt] off for us for a long time …”

Asked if he thought Valentine’s comments could have been meant as a motivational tool, Pedroia didn’t sound impressed.

“Maybe in Japan or something,” he said, referring to Valentine’s stint as a manager there. “Over here in the U.S., we’re on a three-game winning streak, we want to feel good and keep it rolling. We feel we have a good team and we’ve just got to get each other’s backs and play together. Because if you don’t do that, I don’t care what sport you’re playing, you’re not going to win.”

Happy Patriot’s Day, Boston.

1. proudlycanadian - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Well said Pedroia.

• lardin - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

“But that’s really not the way we go about our stuff here. I’m sure he’ll figure that out soon.”

That one line tells you all you need to know about why Francona was fired. The Players think they rule the clubhouse, and maybe they do. But thats exactly the problem with the Red Sox..

Perhaps if Tito, called out a player now and then, the September collapse wouldnt have happened. Perhaps Tito would still have a job, perhaps they wouldnt have started the season 1-5.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Two world’s championships.

How many does Valentine have?

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

There are probably players who need a public humiliation now and then to motivate them. I don’t claim to know much about Kevin Youkilis as a person, but he has never, ever struck me as that player.

I know I wouldn’t respond well to having my boss call me out in the papers.

• ezthinking - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM

More like the backstabbing like the front office did to, well everyone. This has more of a Major League team v. front office feel, minus the manager being helpful.

• bigharold - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Really?? Calling out a player after 10 games, .. after he started to swinging the bat better?? That’s just plain stupid.

All Valentine did was piss off the players for no good reason and without provocation. What he did was stupid in general and specifically stupid considering that that season just started.

He’s not Dick Williams, Earl Weaver or Billy Martin. It’s 2012, not 1972. Trying to use a managerial style that worked 30 or 40 years ago is like trying to win a car race with a 40 year old race car. Woefully inadequate.

• racksie - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

larin: that statement does make it sound like the inmates are running the asylum.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

18thstreet – Apr 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I know I wouldn’t respond well to having my boss call me out in the papers

Well, I’m calling you out here. Get to work and stop posting on HBT. I just don’t see you being as physically and emotionally into whatever it is you do- as you used to be.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

true story.

2. yahmule - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Bobby seems to be holding a 40 year grudge against every ballplayer who didn’t break his leg running into a chainlink fence, thus all but ending his budding career as a mediocre slap hitter. Enjoy him Beantown. You deserve nothing less.

3. nflfollower - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Maybe in Japan or something. Ouch, return fire.

4. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

This is awesome

5. yankeesfanlen - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

HeeHeeHee

6. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I hope it comes to fisticuffs. Perhaps a baseball bat beating. Maybe even a poisoned beer. Oh wait, no beer (but plenty of poison)

7. uyf1950 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Bobby V’s proving why no other team in MLB was interested in his services for 10 years.
    Keep up the good work Bobby, (sarcasm button, please)

8. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Even though he managed in NY, Bobby will be surprised by the scrutiny of every word that comes out of his mouth by rabid reporters and fans.

Hope you like living in a fishbowl Bobby, I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would.

9. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

You can’t call how the Mets are covered as the “NY media”. Despite being in the same city, everyone knows that the Mets are the minor league team in this city and the coverage reflects it. There is nothing comparable between the Mets and Yankees, other than they share the same governor.

10. cur68 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Best thing in the world would have been for no one to say anything in that clubhouse. This just got a whole lot worse.

11. 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks, Nick Cafardo.

12. gerryb323 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM

And, surprise! Guess who’s not in the lineup today!

• ezthinking - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Is Nick Punto’s job to give hope to everyone that anyone can play baseball. Baseball is the most difficult sport, but the fact Punto keeps making millions with have no discernible skills is a detriment to the entire sport. Turn him into a coach or something, but don’t let him play.

• bigharold - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I thought you were kidding.

That’s some strategy; .. wait for the guy to start showing some life at the plate, .. throw him under the bus and question his desire, (of all things), .. then pull him from the lie up.

I’ve got one question; … did it take you ALL of ST to think this strategy up Bob?

13. bigharold - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

There is a part of me that thinks this is a strategy on Valentine’s part to unite the players . He’s getting them to have an “us against the world” mentality to have them play even harder. I think he forgot the part where he was suppose to be within the “us” section cause right now it looks like the players are uniting against Valentine.

I wonder if he can get his old job at ESPN back? It looks like he’s going to need it, .. SOON!

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Here’s my fear: that the Red Sox ownership can’t admit the mistake of hiring Valentine, and we’re stuck with him for 3 years.

• bigharold - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I think, unless Valentine says this type of stupid stuff regularly, at most he’s the RS manager until the end of 2013. But, he really needs to keep in mind that while he was likely brought in to change the direction and atmosphere of the club house he still needs the players if not on his side, .. not in open revolt.

I’ve read the Globe this morning and he’s already back tracking from last night’s statement but he really needs to keep his mouth shut. He might have been brought in with a particular mandate from the owners but he has to know the owners can’t fire ALL the players. at some point, .. perhaps soon, .. it will be more beneficial and cost effective to just can Valentine. A few more gaffs like this one and t might well be as soon as the end of this season.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

He WILL say this sort of stupid stuff regularly.

We’re TEN GAMES into the season, and he’s already expressing frustration with his players’ effort. Image what August will look like.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM

No no no. Francona >>>>>>> Valentine in the Sunday night booth.

If Bobby gets canned, let him go back to his security job with the city of Stamford or making wrap sandwiches or whatever.

14. thomas2727 - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

At least he did not call him a Fat Toad. Oh wait Bobby V is not the owner.

15. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

During spring training, a Boston writer (shaunnessy?) went on Mike Francessa’s radio program and was asked about Youklis and his attitude. The Boston reporter stopped short of (barely) calling Youklis a team cancer. Says he complains about everything, and everyone, including his teammates, to their faces and behind their backs. Oh, and he won’t be a Red Sox for much longer. And for anyone interested, the show was broadcast on Tuesday, March 27. WFAN. Should be archived.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Shaugnessy is not a reporter. He’s an instigator, paid by the largest newspaper in New England to get readers riled up. He’s very good at this job.

He’s a terrible analyst and reporter.

The shame is, he was once terrific.

• skeleteeth - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM
      • deathmonkey41 - Apr 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That’s the smartest thing you’ve ever said on here.

• skeleteeth - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I tried to post a pic and either did it wrong or it wasn’t approved.

16. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM

18th- not sure exactly who or what shaunnessy does and for whom, but did say he was in Florida covering the Sox. I was stunned to hear what he said about Youklis, only because Yankees fans have always been lead to believe that he was the teams heart and soul (along with Pedroia). If I remember correctly (I was listening while at the Mall of America’s indoor amusement park, in Minnesota, with my daughter at the time) he also said Youklis is universally disliked by his teammates.

• drewzducks - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM

He (Youk) basically threw Ellsbury under the bus late in 2010 for not manning up and getting back in the lineup after his misdiagnosed ribs injuries. Ells can’t stand him and reportedly still won’t talk to him. Knowing this management group they’ll probably side with Youk when it comes time to pay Ellsbury/Boras. Not wise but we’re talking Lucchino and his gang.

• 18thstreet - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Man, if only Shaugnessy were paid to report on the Red Sox, he’d really have a story there.

17. deathmonkey41 - Apr 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Can’t they just write it off as “It’s just Bobby being Bobby”?

18. randygnyc - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Drewzducks- I’ve also heard that Ellsbury doesn’t talk to his teammates and that it’s believed he can’t wait to sign elsewhere. Is this true? Why?

• drewzducks - Apr 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Goes back to the way Youk a supposed veteran leader treated Ellsbury and called him out in front of teammates and media towards the latter part of 2010. Apparently no one really came forward for Ellsburyto defend him. That, the multiple misdiagnoses of his rib injury, together with the fact that he supposedly is a little on the sensitive side has led him to pretty much keep with himself. He was close with Lowrie, now in Houston, another player who just so happens to have been hurt a lot and criticized for it.

19. stackers1 - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The only person in baseball I consider to be a bigger A-hole than Bobby V. would be Schilling (and perhaps slobbering Ozzie). And now it looks like his spring training comments may have been right.

What a bloody mess in Boston!

Ace-killer Giants do it again