Carlos Zambrano meets the Cubs

Apr 17, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT

Miami Marlins v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

In addition to Ozzie Guillen’s return, tonight’s Cubs-Marlins tilt matches up Carlos Zambrano against his old buddies brings the Cubs to Carlos Zambrano’s house.*  And despite the fact that he blew up all the time and walked out on the team last season in Atlanta, they seem magnanimous enough:

“He had a lot of friends on this team,” Marlon Byrd said. “That’s what people forget. You see his antics on the field, and the reasons he was suspended, and all the other b.s. But at the same time, you still have friends he has guys he texts on this team, and talks to on this team We’re going to see him and hopefully he’s looking good and feeling good.”

That sentiment was echoed by many. Gosh, the Cubs seem centered.  Probably because they are, reports Patrick Mooney:

But now that Theo Epstein has been given the keys to the kingdom, there is a sense of stability and confidence in the long-range plan. People have noticed how quiet it is around this team.

“Everybody just focuses on what we do – playing baseball,” outfielder Alfonso Soriano said. “Everybody’s relaxed and enjoys what we do.

This is a first that I can recall, by the way: a losing team — the Cubs are 3-7 — with good chemistry and a peaceful clubhouse. And here I thought those things are what caused a team to win.

*Yeah, I wrote that Zambrano was facing the Cubs tonight. Not sure why I thought that.

1. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Xanax works real good.

2. unconventionalidiot - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

How long before the “This Team Lacks Fire” articles start?

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I look forward to days where my Cubs have a few more great stars on their roster. But I also look forward to them being homegrown, cost-effective and non-dramatic.

4. qcubed3 - Apr 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

How can Zambrano be in Wrigley? Don’t the gatorade coolers there have a protective order out against him?

5. ajcardsfan - Apr 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Any idea think that photo of Zambrano just cries “Give me a trophy”?

6. spudchukar - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Hey Ozzie, I have bent over backwards defending you lately, but here is where I draw the line; Never, ever should Omar Infante bat 5th and Giancarlo Stanton bat 6th. Even if Stanton chooses to be called Che Fidel Stanton and Infante homers in 10 straight games do I make that move.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5035)