Apr 17, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
In addition to Ozzie Guillen’s return, tonight’s Cubs-Marlins tilt
matches up Carlos Zambrano against his old buddies brings the Cubs to Carlos Zambrano’s house.* And despite the fact that he blew up all the time and walked out on the team last season in Atlanta, they seem magnanimous enough:
“He had a lot of friends on this team,” Marlon Byrd said. “That’s what people forget. You see his antics on the field, and the reasons he was suspended, and all the other b.s. But at the same time, you still have friends he has guys he texts on this team, and talks to on this team We’re going to see him and hopefully he’s looking good and feeling good.”
That sentiment was echoed by many. Gosh, the Cubs seem centered. Probably because they are, reports Patrick Mooney:
But now that Theo Epstein has been given the keys to the kingdom, there is a sense of stability and confidence in the long-range plan. People have noticed how quiet it is around this team.
“Everybody just focuses on what we do – playing baseball,” outfielder Alfonso Soriano said. “Everybody’s relaxed and enjoys what we do.
This is a first that I can recall, by the way: a losing team — the Cubs are 3-7 — with good chemistry and a peaceful clubhouse. And here I thought those things are what caused a team to win.
*Yeah, I wrote that Zambrano was facing the Cubs tonight. Not sure why I thought that.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Orioles have settled on a new hitting coach: Scott Coolbaugh.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Giants are looking to solve their third base dilemma with Casey McGehee.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
Jon Lester now has a personal catcher.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
All baseball moves the Yankees make must be construed as pro-A-Rod or anti-A-Rod. There are literally no other reasons the Yankees make baseball moves.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Howie Kendrick’s replacement?
Dec 19, 2014, 3:25 PM EST
Minor League Baseball’s top lobbyist wants minor leaguers classified as if they were babysitters and seasonal farm workers.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
He’s owed $2.75 million for 2015.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
It’s complicated. But you can bid on his deferred compensation, payable by the Mets.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Hart was one of the best right-handed power hitters in baseball for the Brewers from 2010-2012.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The Padres have made a flurry of moves in the past few days. It may help them win some more baseball games. But it will undeniably fire up a fan base that has had nothing to get excited about for years.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Furcal is actually a year older than Jimmy Rollins at 37 and hasn’t been healthy since 2012
Dec 19, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Bud is still going to be CCd on all the imporant emails, it seems.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Rollins waived his no-trade rights to facilitate a move after 15 seasons in Philadelphia.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
One player the Padres did NOT get.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
File this under “wild speculation” but it makes all kinds of sense.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Baldelli, who’s still just 33 years old, joins 37-year-old rookie manager Kevin Cash’s coaching staff.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
A third base hole filled in San Diego, a good defensive catcher goes to Boston.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Albers is headed back to MLB after a rough 2014 season in Korea.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
According to the team president, at least.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)