Apr 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Our Old Gator has taken to calling the Marlins Park home run feature “Tommy,” in tribute to the Who’s rock opera (or, more likely, in tribute to the garish film version of it). But Dave George of the Palm Beach Post is looking to formalize it a bit more:
I’m asking the creative and the cranky out there to submit potential nicknames for the merry monster of Marlins Park. The best suggestions will be mentioned in an upcoming column so don’t forget to include your name and city for proper credit.
Let me hear from you by e-mailing me, sending a letter to The Palm Beach Post at P.O. Box 24700, West Palm Beach, Fla., 33416-4700.
I’d write in with “Fidel” or something, but that would probably lead to me having to offer a tearful apology and finding myself suspended for five days. The rest of you can just do your best. Or, preferably, your worst.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)