Apr 17, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
Upton was a trendy pick to win NL MVP honors this year after busting out for 31 homers as a 23-year-old last season. However, with the thumb limiting him, he’s opened this season with a .212 average and no RBI through 10 games.
Fortunately, the Diamondbacks have the depth to cover an Upton injury. While many rallied against the team’s signing of Jason Kubel over the winter, it did turn Gerardo Parra into the league’s best fourth outfielder. He can play regularly in right field for however long Upton is out. If the Diamondbacks hadn’t signed Kubel, they might well have been left playing Willie Bloomquist in the outfield and John McDonald at shortstop for the duration of Upton’s absence. The Triple-A options (David Winfree, A.J. Pollock and Cole Gillespie) aren’t very attractive.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)