Apr 17, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Kerry Wood has left the Cubs in Miami and flown back to Chicago to undergo a cortisone injection in his sore right shoulder.
For now the Cubs are telling reporters that they expect Wood to avoid the disabled list and be available out of the bullpen as soon as Friday, when they return home to play the Reds, but obviously the need for a cortisone shot midway through the first month of the season is a pretty big red flag for the 34-year-old reliever.
Wood has been used sparingly so far, but bounced back from an ugly outing against the Nationals on April 7 to strike out the side on April 11 and retire the only batter he faced on April 13.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)