Apr 17, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Kerry Wood has left the Cubs in Miami and flown back to Chicago to undergo a cortisone injection in his sore right shoulder.
For now the Cubs are telling reporters that they expect Wood to avoid the disabled list and be available out of the bullpen as soon as Friday, when they return home to play the Reds, but obviously the need for a cortisone shot midway through the first month of the season is a pretty big red flag for the 34-year-old reliever.
Wood has been used sparingly so far, but bounced back from an ugly outing against the Nationals on April 7 to strike out the side on April 11 and retire the only batter he faced on April 13.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)