Apr 17, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
Kerry Wood has left the Cubs in Miami and flown back to Chicago to undergo a cortisone injection in his sore right shoulder.
For now the Cubs are telling reporters that they expect Wood to avoid the disabled list and be available out of the bullpen as soon as Friday, when they return home to play the Reds, but obviously the need for a cortisone shot midway through the first month of the season is a pretty big red flag for the 34-year-old reliever.
Wood has been used sparingly so far, but bounced back from an ugly outing against the Nationals on April 7 to strike out the side on April 11 and retire the only batter he faced on April 13.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)