Apr 17, 2012, 5:43 PM EST
Kerry Wood has left the Cubs in Miami and flown back to Chicago to undergo a cortisone injection in his sore right shoulder.
For now the Cubs are telling reporters that they expect Wood to avoid the disabled list and be available out of the bullpen as soon as Friday, when they return home to play the Reds, but obviously the need for a cortisone shot midway through the first month of the season is a pretty big red flag for the 34-year-old reliever.
Wood has been used sparingly so far, but bounced back from an ugly outing against the Nationals on April 7 to strike out the side on April 11 and retire the only batter he faced on April 13.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)