Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
The Yankees scratched their first baseman about two hours before Tuesday’s game against the Twins was due to start. The reason was the old standby: flu-like symptoms.
Teixeira is 3-for-20 with one homer and 10 strikeouts lifetime against Liriano, and he’s not off to the best of starts this year anyway (.250/.348/.325 with three RBI in 40 AB), so the Yankees may well be better off without him.
With Teixeira out, the Yankees decided to sneak in a partial day off for Derek Jeter. He moved to DH and was replaced by Eduardo Nunez at shortstop. Nick Swisher, who was to DH, will play first base instead.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)