Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
The Yankees scratched their first baseman about two hours before Tuesday’s game against the Twins was due to start. The reason was the old standby: flu-like symptoms.
Teixeira is 3-for-20 with one homer and 10 strikeouts lifetime against Liriano, and he’s not off to the best of starts this year anyway (.250/.348/.325 with three RBI in 40 AB), so the Yankees may well be better off without him.
With Teixeira out, the Yankees decided to sneak in a partial day off for Derek Jeter. He moved to DH and was replaced by Eduardo Nunez at shortstop. Nick Swisher, who was to DH, will play first base instead.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)