Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EST
The Yankees scratched their first baseman about two hours before Tuesday’s game against the Twins was due to start. The reason was the old standby: flu-like symptoms.
Teixeira is 3-for-20 with one homer and 10 strikeouts lifetime against Liriano, and he’s not off to the best of starts this year anyway (.250/.348/.325 with three RBI in 40 AB), so the Yankees may well be better off without him.
With Teixeira out, the Yankees decided to sneak in a partial day off for Derek Jeter. He moved to DH and was replaced by Eduardo Nunez at shortstop. Nick Swisher, who was to DH, will play first base instead.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)