Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
The Yankees scratched their first baseman about two hours before Tuesday’s game against the Twins was due to start. The reason was the old standby: flu-like symptoms.
Teixeira is 3-for-20 with one homer and 10 strikeouts lifetime against Liriano, and he’s not off to the best of starts this year anyway (.250/.348/.325 with three RBI in 40 AB), so the Yankees may well be better off without him.
With Teixeira out, the Yankees decided to sneak in a partial day off for Derek Jeter. He moved to DH and was replaced by Eduardo Nunez at shortstop. Nick Swisher, who was to DH, will play first base instead.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)