Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
The Yankees scratched their first baseman about two hours before Tuesday’s game against the Twins was due to start. The reason was the old standby: flu-like symptoms.
Teixeira is 3-for-20 with one homer and 10 strikeouts lifetime against Liriano, and he’s not off to the best of starts this year anyway (.250/.348/.325 with three RBI in 40 AB), so the Yankees may well be better off without him.
With Teixeira out, the Yankees decided to sneak in a partial day off for Derek Jeter. He moved to DH and was replaced by Eduardo Nunez at shortstop. Nick Swisher, who was to DH, will play first base instead.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)