Nationals “have dabbled” in Zimmermann extension talks

Apr 17, 2012, 9:37 PM EST

zimmermann ap AP

It has become almost commonplace for major league teams to lock up talented, cost-controlled pitchers through their arbitration years. And the Nationals are apparently thinking about getting in on the act.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nats “have dabbled in preliminary conversations” with the representatives for right-hander Jordan Zimmermann. Nothing is close yet, but the sides could look to strike an agreement by next winter.

Zimmermann, who qualified as a Super Two and thus gained four years of arbitration eligibility, is making $2.3 million this season. The 25-year-old registered a 3.18 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 124/31 K/BB ratio across 161 1/3 innings in 2011 and is off to a superb start in 2012.

The Giants gave 22-year-old left-hander Madison Bumgarner a five-year, $35 million extension last week.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Watched a few Nat’s games this year and that pitching staff is scary. If they can get a little more offense they will be very good.

• Kevin S. - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Enter Bryce Harper…

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM

More likely Morse once he is fully healthy.

2. natinals10 - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

If this staff stays healthy this could be a contending team for the next 10 years.

3. stumpzzz - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Nats r making a good move. Lets lock up our young core. Nats on the rise! Go Nats

4. hittfamily - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I hope people don’t mind me asking an off topic question, but I just got home, and it is getting late, so this is possible to be the last topic of the night. I have 3 questions, and if anyone with the knowledge would care to answer, terrific, and thank you:

A) The Rays brought Alex Cobb up for 1 day, then sent him down. He was also pulled up last year. So he has now been sent to the minors twice. He is a top prospect in their organization, so this is peculiar. I was under the impression someone could only be recalled 4 times before they had to be put on waivers. This likely isn’t the case, because the Rays wouldnt have done it otherwise. I wouldn’t even know where to look to clarify this rule. What determines when a player has to be placed on waivers, as opposed to to being “sent down” or outrighted, or whatever it’s called?

B) I was coaching my 13 year old son’s game tonight. A bunt was laid down. The catcher threw the ball to first. Their runner was on the inside of the baseline, and touched the inside of the base. He crashed into the first baseman at the moment the ball reached the bag. The first baseman got clobbered, and dropped the ball. The batter had to go back to first, because he never touched it. I argued the runner was out for interfering by being out of the baseline,. I have scoured the rulebook, and can only find references that the batter is out if the catcher’s throw hits him. So I assume I am wrong. However, if this was the case, wouldn’t every close play at first involve the runner going headfirst into the first baseman, K.O.ing him, then casually reaching over to touch the bag, while the firstbaseman is attempting to locate his dislocated kneecap?

C) Just a question about the rulebook. I came across this while searching for the answer to b).
    7.05 Each runner including the batter runner may, without liability to be put out, advance-…….(d) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a thrown ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play;

I remeber seeing this a few years ago. Geovanni Soto if I’m not mistaken. A pitch was blocked in the dirt. The play was over, the runners weren’t advancing, so he casually used his mask to corral the ball and coax it back to his glove. Ump immediately called it, runners advanced. However, as I read it, the batter should advance two bases as well. Now this would be news, because I had always been taught there are 7 ways to get on first: hit, error, bb, k wp, fc, inerferance, hbp. Do I not understand this rule, or are there 8 ways? Each runner, including the batter.

5. natsattack - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

To answer C, if the batter advances 2 bases, then technically he didnt get to first.

• hittfamily - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM

ha ha. very true.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5435)