Ozzie Guillen returns tonight

Apr 17, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Miami Marlins Getty Images

This time last week Ozzie Guillen was in the middle of a firestorm. An apology and five games off later and Guillen is poised to return tonight, as the Marlins face the Cubs in Miami.

I’m going to be curious to see if there are protests of any real scale, boos or things of that nature tonight.  Just a hunch, but I’m going to guess not. Maybe it’s different on the ground in Miami, but based on the news reports and the little if any protests or activity over the weekend, it seems like the air came out of this little hubbub almost immediately after Guillen’s apology.

1. stex52 - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I wouldn’t expect too much negative. I am assuming that Miami natives can read papers and had some awareness they were getting a loudmouth when he first came. If he screws up the team, then get rid of him. Otherwise, just let him blather.

2. AlohaMrHand - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Why is Guillen being villified when in 1999 the Orioles went to Cuba to play the national team despite massive negative publicity about the event?Oh and Guillen made similar comments to the Chicago Sun about 4 years ago and no outrage.

• southbeachtalent - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Lets see..

Baltimore is no where near Miami (hence, not many Cubans)

Chicago (see Baltimore)

Miami, well hopefully you get the picture. Really quite simple and non-complex.

• AlohaMrHand - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Did you read the article?Probably not,why is ate all suddenly appalled by Guillen when they were arm in arm with El,Presidente and even broadcasted the game on ESPN?How bout you ask some Cubans which would disgust them more?And what the hell does location have to do with it?There aren’t Cubans living in Baltimore?Really?

• southbeachtalent - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Well what happened when Guillen said what he said in Chicago? Nothing.. And in Baltimore? Nothing..

In Miami he got suspended for 5 games. Sure there are Cubans all over the world. But as apparent by the suspension, there is an overwhelming amount of Cubans in Miami, especially in Little Havana.

We knew what Ozzie had said before he was hired as the Marlins head coach. Some of us were completely against the hiring but that obviously didn’t matter. But to come in to Miami, and slap us on the face with that comment was disrespectful.

3. mybrunoblog - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Great point by previous poster. How about this. Bud Selig sat RIGHT NEXT to Fidel Castro during that exhibition game in 1999. Futhermore, Selig and Angelo’s smiled and posed for pictures with Castro. Gee, where was the “outrage” from the baseball media then ???

These friggen hypocrites make me sick.

4. southbeachtalent - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I was outraged when this douche made those comments. That bieng said I would expect the fans to embrace Ozzie tonight. Its over and done with, he’s done his time.

Lets play ball.

5. Old Gator - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I had this wonderful idea for a T-shirt image: Ozzie looking slightly over his left shoulder wearing a beret with a little red star on it, a la that famous picture of Che Guevara. I’m not the Photoshop wizard I ought to be given how many cockamamie ideas like this I come up with, but I’m sure there must be a digital wizard out there amongst the Circling the Bases rabble who would know how to do this….

PS – I suppose if you could get his expression, shading and beret style right, you could put the little Feesh rainbow “M” up there instead of the star, but our local right wing exile dinosaurs aren’t very quick on the uptake and going subtle at a critical moment might risk damping down the more entertaining extremes of outrage and indignation the more obvious route would provoke.

• The Rabbit - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM

LOL…If you’d like me to make this shirt for you, send me an e-mail.
      BTW Gator, I wrote my comment before you posted this.

• Old Gator - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m not adjacent to my home computer so I don’t have your email address – I’ll try to send one via Len. But yeah, absolutely, and I’ll spring for the printing costs for these things once we’ve got the image down pat. The more I think about it, the more I think it’s just too good not to do, and I want to get on with it before I ruin my spine from patting myself on the back for coming up with it.

As far as what goes on down here, check back a week or so to see my replies to the story when it first splattered (“broke” dignifies the means and patterns of its media dissemination beyond its right entitlements).

But the short of it is, it’s a generational thing. Most of the hysteria was generated by the ever-dwindling ranks of the first generation or two of exiles, while second generation and subsequent generations of Cuban-Americans are mostly offended for the sakes of their parents and grandparents, but for themselves are more than happy to let the matter share the destiny of subducted Pacific crustal plate.

6. The Rabbit - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

If you read/watch sports media, you couldn’t get away from this story.
    ESPN conducted a “professional” poll (supposedly not a tweet us and give your opinion survey) among baseball fans and Cuban Americans and asked whether Ozzie’s punishment was appropriate, too lenient, or too severe for his remarks.
    What I found surprising was that the results were almost identical for both Cuban Americans and (non-Cuban heritage) baseball fans: 30% thought he should be fired and the rest thought the suspension made a statement or didn’t care.
    30% is significant and it raises some questions. First, in view of remarks by Gator and other commenters, what percentage of fans thought Ozzie should be fired prior to his comments? Was there an increase? If so, to what effect did the media’s barrage of moral outrage influence the numbers? (Inquiring minds want to how and why people form opinions!)
    So while ESPN focused on the 30%, I found it more interesting that 70% of Cuban Americans (the same percentage as baseball fans) either put his comments in the context of the interview, don’t share the strong opinions of the people who are “speaking for them”, believe that people have the right to say stupid things, didn’t care as it didn’t personally impact their lives today, or some combination.
    I suspect except for those who have an agenda to keep this “event” current, this, too, shall pass.

7. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well said rabbit, there is a fan forum site for the marlins with a large contingent of Cuban American posters who said they either didn’t care about what Ozzie said, saw the context of what he said or pointed out they moved away from Cuba in order to have free speech and not be shouted down by the masses who disagree. This was a non story from the beginning…as an Irish man living in Massachusetts, should I get upset if the queen of England takes in a game at Fenway paaaaak?

• Old Gator - Apr 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Of course, opinions expressed on the fan forum to which jimmy refers is, being a fan forum, are more likely to skew towards the interests of the club and towards forgiving, forgetting and moving on. You would get a more representative distribution of Macondo opinions from, say, the discussion blogs on the Macondo Herald web site, the popup-besotted digital manifestation of our local feeshwrapper. You would also get something of a more realistic spread listening to local Spawrts Towrk Raydeeo, especially late at night when the passionately bilious are newly risen from their ideological sarcophagi. That’s when you’l hear that Slobbering Ozzie is a “commoonyist operative” and so forth, but you’ll also here the exasperation in the voices of the hosts who understand, regardless, that trafficking in imbecility is what keeps their ad revenues dribbling in.

Then again, Macando is very much a “but how have you insulted me lately” sort of town – it takes more than one idiot blowhard like Slobbering Ozzie to sustain moral outrage, especially after the Clinton administration declined to add the political kidnapping of children to our armory of foreign policy options, shipped Elian home to his daddy and catastrophically let the hydrogen out of the exile blimp gasbags.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3408)