Apr 17, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: An MRI on Kelly’s elbow came back negative, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Kelly will go to extended spring training for a two-week rehab and could rejoin Triple-A Tucson afterwards.
Kelly, 22, was something of a disappointment in Double-A last year, but he was off to a fantastic start this season. Not only did he have a 2.25 ERA in two starts, but he had struck out 14 and walked none in 12 innings.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times says Kelly checked out fine when examined initially after the soreness, but that the Padres wanted an MRI and for their own doctors to look at him.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)