Apr 17, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: An MRI on Kelly’s elbow came back negative, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Kelly will go to extended spring training for a two-week rehab and could rejoin Triple-A Tucson afterwards.
Kelly, 22, was something of a disappointment in Double-A last year, but he was off to a fantastic start this season. Not only did he have a 2.25 ERA in two starts, but he had struck out 14 and walked none in 12 innings.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times says Kelly checked out fine when examined initially after the soreness, but that the Padres wanted an MRI and for their own doctors to look at him.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (337)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)