Apr 17, 2012, 6:52 PM EST
Update: An MRI on Kelly’s elbow came back negative, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Kelly will go to extended spring training for a two-week rehab and could rejoin Triple-A Tucson afterwards.
Kelly, 22, was something of a disappointment in Double-A last year, but he was off to a fantastic start this season. Not only did he have a 2.25 ERA in two starts, but he had struck out 14 and walked none in 12 innings.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times says Kelly checked out fine when examined initially after the soreness, but that the Padres wanted an MRI and for their own doctors to look at him.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)