Apr 17, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: An MRI on Kelly’s elbow came back negative, MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports. Kelly will go to extended spring training for a two-week rehab and could rejoin Triple-A Tucson afterwards.
Kelly, 22, was something of a disappointment in Double-A last year, but he was off to a fantastic start this season. Not only did he have a 2.25 ERA in two starts, but he had struck out 14 and walked none in 12 innings.
Dan Hayes of the North County Times says Kelly checked out fine when examined initially after the soreness, but that the Padres wanted an MRI and for their own doctors to look at him.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)