Apr 17, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
“If I’m going up there and striking out every at-bat, I’m going to get benched,” he said. “But it’s not that way with (umpires). They can go out there and make bad calls all day, and they’re not going to be held accountable for it.
“It’s tough. It’s such a tough situation. Believe me, I’ve umpired before. It’s tough. It’s hard. But at this level, I don’t know what to say. You’ve got to bear down.”
Can’t blame him a bit. MLB says that there is umpire discipline and accountability. But if that’s the case, there is zero transparency about it. Which is probably because they believe that if umpires are called out that people will have less confidence in them or something. I personally think it’s the opposite, though. People figure out who is good and bad anyway, and then are even more critical because they think the bad umps are arrogant and immune, even if that isn’t the case.
Probably doesn’t matter. There is no indication at all that bad umpiring will be dealt with in a satisfying manner by Major League Baseball. We’re just gonna have to deal with it.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)