14-time All-Star Ivan Rodriguez to announce retirement

Apr 18, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT

Ivan Rodriguez Getty Images

MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan has the scoop: Ivan Rodriguez will retire a member of the Rangers as part of a pre-game ceremony prior to Monday’s game with the Yankees.

Rodriguez, 40, didn’t want to go out yet, but no one offered him a starting job or anything close to it after he hit .218/.281/.323 in 124 at-bats for the Nationals in an injury-plagued 2011 season. Rodriguez was hoping to play another two or three seasons and get to 3,000 career hits. He’ll finish his career at 2,844.

Of course, Pudge didn’t need 3,000 hits to add to his Hall of Fame qualifications. Rodriguez was the 1999 AL MVP, he was named to 14 All-Star teams and he won 13 Gold Gloves. He finishes his career with a .296/.334/.464 line, 311 homers and 1,332 RBI. His 2,427 games caught is a major league record.

Slideshow: Baseball’s greatest catchers

1. idolized1 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM

It’s too bad he has to go out before he wants to, but he has had one of the best catching careers ever. Ever.

Still fighting for a spot at 40 just shows how tough this guy is. Best of luck to him in retirement.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM

So I guess there’s no chance of him catching for an inning for Jamie Moyer? Oh well.

2. natstowngreg - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Best Wishes, Pudge. It was nice to see your defensive skills on display in your two seasons with the Nats.

3. antlerclaws - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Aww. I know his skills have deteriorated, but I really wanted some team to pick him up. Hopefully, the Rangers will sign him to a one-day contract so he can retire as a Ranger. Then he and Nolan can hang out and wait for the White Sox to come back around so they can intimidate Robin Ventura.

4. watermelon1 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Love watching this guy play. And with so many mediocre catchers in the game, it’s
    Amazing he couldn’t even land a part time share, to help mentor, and DH on the AL. I mean, the orioles got freakin Wilson bettimit as their DH! And I’m sure pudge could do wonders for wieters and that pitching staff.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Didn’t want a part time job, wanted to start.

5. contraryguy - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Many retiring players get called ‘a sure Hall of Famer’ here and elsewhere, but I-Rod is in the express boarding lane for the flight to Cooperstown. Best of luck and well done, Ivan.

• petey1999 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:44 AM

First ballot.

6. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I was always a big pudge fan even before he came to the marlins…the train was jt snow and superman caught the ball from Niner and stopped the train cold, ball in hand on his way to a world title…best of luck in retirement Mr. Rodriguez, it was a pleasure to watch you play the game I love

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Without Pudge, there was no 2003 World Championship for the Feesh. Period. I can still see his hand shooting up with the ball out of the pile of arms and legs and dust at the plate when he tagged out J T Snow at the plate to punch our ticket to the Series. Dontrelle got much of the press that year but he was really the heart and soul of the 2003 team in a year made of bubblegum, bailing wire and dreams. Thanks, Pudge – the yellowtail in the Gulf Stream are waiting and I can hear the engine idling on your boat. Good feeshing to ya.

• spudchukar - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Poetic, as usual.

• ajcardsfan - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Gator if you ever publish a book for Baseball based poems, let us know, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

• Old Gator - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Thanks AJ, but every time I pick up and browse through my dogeared and battered old copy of Phil Rizzuto’s anthology of found poetry, O Holy Cow, I feel like a teenage guitarist planning to burn his first CD who listens to Clapton’s solos on Wheels of Fire and just says aww, the fuck with it.

7. hojo20 - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Roids?

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

No, just a bit of mental diarrhea on your part.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM

No question. 1.) He played in Texas when the Ranger clubhouse was the distribution warehouse for steroids and HGH to all of MLB. 2.) He went from lean to huge and back to lean. Put him in the Hall, but he was most definitely a user…..just please don’t ask me to prove it.

• 18thstreet - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I totally agree with this.

8. tigerman3 - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thank you for bringing Baseball back from the dead in Detroit without you there is no WS appearance in 06 , No ALCS in 11 and no Prince Fielder in 12. wish the Tigers would have resinged you instead of brining back Gearld Laird. Happy retirment Pudge you deserve it.

• Detroit Michael - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I know I’m in the minority among Tiger fans, but I don’t admire Pudge:
      – Signed for Detroit only because they way outbid everyone else (see http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/4044634/ for example) – give credit to Mike Illitch for Pudge signing with Detroit
      – As phony as a $3 bill when he claimed that he grew up rooting for the Tigers as a kid
      – Led with Dmitri Young a players revolt that got Alan Trammell fired (although that worked out given that the Tigers hired Jim Leyland)
      – Named steroid user in Jose Canseco’s first book and lost a bunch of weight one spring once MLB started testing

I don’t really hate the guy. Considering his age, he played well for the Tigers. Just mentioning the whole story.

9. astrosfan75956 - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Class act one of my favorite all time players.

10. stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I remember an inning with the Astros where the batter accidentally hit him. About two pitches later he took a foul tip straight in the mask, which bounced up and hit the umpire. While he threw the ball back to the pitcher, he and the umpire were laughing. Most of us would have been lying on our backs.

Tough, pure grit, a clubhouse presence and a classy guy. Hated when the Astros started delayering and let him go to Texas.

And I agree with OG. The Marlins WS championship had Pudge all over it. He just wasn’t going to lose.

Best of luck Pudge, and we will see you in Cooperstown.

11. mybrunoblog - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sorry to break up the pudge love fest but I always suspected him of using Ped’s back in the 90s with Palmeiro, Gonzales and a few other of his rangers teammates. It is purely speculative but gee, look at the images of him. Hard to pack on 20 or 30 pounds of muscles folks. I don’t care if Lou Ferrigno is training you it just defies the laws of …….nutrition?….common sense????

12. stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Key word is “suspected.” Everyone from that time is suspected. We can write them all off, or we can come up with proof.

• jeffa43 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

He was on the list.

• stex52 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

What list? Not the Mitchell report.

13. astrosfan75956 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Who gives a darn about PEDs get over it, they did it, let it go already. I’m sick and tired of hearing about it. PEDs, cocaine in the 60-70s, alcohol in the dugouts. Get over it.

14. djm426 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Overrated,he’s another guy who abused the juice and would have been an average player..

• beefytrout - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I hate to call someone out for not knowing anything about baseball…

but you don’t know anything about baseball.

• spudchukar - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I disagree in a way, it isn’t only Baseball that Beefytrout knows little about.

15. jeffa43 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

HOF… very few from this era….

Roids… No HOF for you…..

If he was not on a list, or did not get popped… sure

but he did…

No Roger, No Barry, Pudge, A ROD, Palmeiro, none who got caught…

You will see Chipper, Biggio, Bagwell, Glavin, Maddux, Johnson, Smoltz… guys like those.

• stex52 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

They will get in. If they don’t, good luck on Bagwell. He will be dragged down by the guilt by association.

• 18thstreet - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I like seeing a guy who doesn’t know how to spell Tom Glavine’s last name lecturing us about baseball.

16. miketreedy - Apr 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM

As a long time Rangers fan it doesn’t seem that long ago that he was called up at the age of 19. He was always a class act and played at 110% percent. I remember the Rangers were always frustrated that after a full season he would go to Mexico and play all off season as well. The guy just loved playing baseball. One of the Rangers biggest mistakes was letting him go when they signed ARod. It was fun watching the impact he had on both the Marlins and Tigers though after being in Texas. I am glad though that he is coming back to Texas to retire.

Congrats on a great career Pudge & I look forward to the day you are enshrined in Cooperstown!

• Detroit Michael - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

“One of the Rangers biggest mistakes was letting him go when they signed ARod.” The Rangers let Ivan Rodriguez walk two years after they signed Alex Rodriguez and one year after they signed Chan Ho Park & Ismael Valdez. You really want to blame A-Rod?

During his three years in Texas, A-Rod was the best player in the AL measured by b-refWAR, won an MVP, and didn’t finish lower than 6th in MVP balloting. Then the owner decided to blame the team’s best player for the team’s poor performance and unwisely traded A-Rod. During the 10 years During the ten years of 2001-10 that would have been covered under A-Rod’s Texas contract, A-Rod was the best player in the AL measured by b-refWAR, won three MVPs, and didn’t finish lower than 15th in MVP balloting. You still really want to blame A-Rod?

I’ll let you look up Park’s and Valdez’ salaries and performances and see if they might have been more to blame for the Rangers letting Pudge walk.

17. miketreedy - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Dude, get a grip. You obviously have a man crush on Arod. My point wasn’t to rip Arod. I am sure he is glad you out there protecting his honor though.

• Detroit Michael - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No, I don’t have a man crush on A-Rod. Just tired of reading the “A-Rod contract hurt our franchise” storyline when it’s not true. Bad decisions other than signing A-Rod hurt the Rangers.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5224)