Apr 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Tim Stanley is a writer for the Telegraph in London. He went to his first baseball game the other day. Even though he referred to home plate as “fourth base,” he shows a far greater understanding of what baseball is all about than that dude who slammed it in his football blog yesterday.
And not just because he says smart things like “the rules are simple and any confusion is cleared up by more beer.” He understands the zeitgeist of the thing, and makes some interesting parallels between baseball and the American psyche, at least as we like to believe it to be:
At face value, baseball’s an individualist sport because it’s all about the man at the bat. He swings, he runs, he’s in command of his destiny. But he’s also playing for the team, and sometimes sacrifices have to be made. If someone’s already at third base, the goal of the batter is to hit the ball far enough to allow his teammate to get to fourth – accepting that he’ll probably get taken out himself as he sprints to first. It’s a reminder that a necessary ingredient for the flourishing of the individual is the health and the wealth of the people around him. For you to succeed, others must succeed, too – and as with baseball teams, so with nations. We’re all in this together.
I don’t think our society always works that way. But I think we’d like it to. At the very least it has before and will again. And I think baseball reflects it far more than the other sports do, even if other sports reflect how our society works in practice from time to time.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)