Apr 18, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Giants closer Brian Wilson spent the past couple of days gathering different opinions from doctors on the status of his injured right elbow and recommendations on how to go about fixing it.
Now the verdict is in, via beat writer Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News:
Brian Wilson will have Tommy John surgery tomorrow, performed by Dr. James Andrews. #SFGiants
— Alex Pavlovic (@AlexPavlovic) April 18, 2012
Wilson underwent his first Tommy John procedure in 2003, while pitching for Louisiana State University.
That one resulted in over a 12-month rehab, and this one is likely to be no different. Santiago Casilla is expected to serve as the Giants’ primary closer for the remainder of the 2012 campaign.
Wilson will likely miss the start of the 2013 season and is scheduled to hit the free agent market heading into 2014, so all this comes with brutal timing. But he’s said to be maintaining an optimistic outlook.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)