Apr 18, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
When the Diamondbacks placed outfielder Chris Young on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday morning, they said it was because of a “right shoulder contusion.” But an MRI taken Wednesday afternoon has revealed the matter to be far worse.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Young has been diagnosed with a slight ligament tear in his shoulder and a deep bruise in his shoulder joint.
There’s currently no timetable for his return.
Young, 28, recorded an impressive .410/.500/.897 batting line, five home runs, two stolen bases and 13 RBI through his first 46 plate appearances of the 2012 season. Gerardo Parra is expected to fill in for him.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)