Apr 18, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
Things that happen when publicly-funded stadiums are built: elected officials fight over the freebies:
In what’s become a spring tradition, some D.C. Council members are suspicious of how council Chairman Kwame R. Brown (D) has been distributing the free tickets that the Washington Nationals hand out to local elected officials for each home game.
Seems this year, the problems stem from the Washington Nationals’ scaling back the number of suites that elected officials can use at Nationals Park.
Seems the mayor doesn’t like to share with city council. Also seems the Nats give out free tickets elsewhere in the park, along with free parking passes. I presume it’s hard to figure out how all of that works, especially when the team is doing better like it is now.
I criticize public stadiums a lot, but usually I resist throwing in “the elected officials just want free tickets” argument because it seems kinda petty and irrelevant. But I do sorta think that they like getting those freebies. The fact that people get all grumpy about it like this tends to underscore it.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)