Apr 18, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Geoff Blum pulled a muscle in his side while taking batting practice yesterday, so the Diamondbacks have placed the 39-year-old on the disabled list while calling up 2009 first-round pick A.J. Pollock to take his roster spot.
Blum received just 14 total plate appearances through 10 games and the presence of Willie Bloomquist and John McDonald means the Diamondbacks remain well-stocked with light-hitting veteran utility men.
Pollock’s prospect stock has dropped since he went 17th overall in 2009, but the 24-year-old center fielder was off to a strong start at Triple-A after hitting .307 with minimal power and 36 steals at Double-A last season. Center fielder Chris Young and right fielder Justin Upton are both hurting, so he could see some regular action.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 18
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 44
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)