Apr 18, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT
Good news this evening out of northeast Ohio.
According to Nick Camino of Cleveland’s WTAM 1100, outfielder Grady Sizemore was cleared by doctors Wednesday to “initiate baseball activities next week.” He’ll start with light drills before moving on to batting practice and then simulated games.
Sizemore was placed on the disabled list just before the start of the regular season due to his ongoing recovery from early-March lower back surgery.
He has also dealt with chronic knee issues over the past few seasons.
The Indians are hoping that Sizemore will be ready to join their starting lineup in late May or early June.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42