Jamie Moyer didn’t crack 80 miles per hour with any of his pitches last night

Apr 18, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT

Jamie Moyer Getty Images

Not only did Jamie Moyer beat the Padres last night, becoming the oldest pitcher in baseball history to record a victory, the 49-year-old left-hander did so without cracking even 80 miles per hour on any pitch.

In allowing just two unearned runs over seven innings Moyer threw 87 pitches, 54 of them for strikes.

According to the pitch breakdown at Brooks Baseball he threw 21 four-seam fastballs that averaged 77.2 mph, 19 cutters at 76.2 mph, 25 changeups at 72.1 mph, eight sinkers at 78.6 mph, and four curveballs at 68.2 mph.

And his fastest pitch on a night when the Padres managed zero extra-base hits in 27 plate appearances versus a man twice their age–and at Coors Field, no less–was 79.0 miles per hour.

UPDATE: On a related note, how many people can throw harder than Moyer? (Hint: Not many.)

1. redguy12588 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Pedro Alvarez still couldn’t catch up to that fastball.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Jamie Moyer is incredible. I really can’t say that enough. I wish everyone I knew was into baseball as much as I am so I could have an epic long conversation talking about what a remarkable accomplishment he’s had.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Well-said!

• baseballisboring - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Agreed. I wish *anyone* I knew in real life was as into baseball as I am. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but friends, people you work with, etc. just don’tttt get it.

3. istillbelieveinblue - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

“Wingate is what you’d call a finesse pitcher. Relies on control, accuracy, not speed. They time this kid’s fastball with an hourglass!” –Harry Doyle

Carlos Liston: Tell that son of a bitch to throw me his fastball.
    Rube Baker: That was his fastball.

Ok, enough Major League III quotes for today…

4. icanspeel - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

It was funny (and sad since I am a Padres fan) to see the Padres hitters try to pull just about every pitch because there were a lot of ground balls to 2nd and SS. The double plays helped him keep his pitch count low.

5. Gobias Industries - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

He’s basically pitching slow enough that he can beat the ball to the plate and serve as his own catcher, Bugs Bunny style.

6. mariner425 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Moyer is just a class act. On the field and in the community.

7. schlom - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

What’s amazing is that if you look at the pitch placement there were a lot of pitches right in the middle of the plate – I would have expected most of his pitches to be in the lower third of the strike zone or out of the strike zone. I can’t imagine he’ll keep getting away with that but maybe he’s so unique he can keep it up.

• bleedgreen - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I didn’t see the game last night, but when he was with the Phillies, his pitches moved so freakin’ much that it wouldn’t surprise me if a ball looked like it was 7″ outside when it was 10′ from the plate and still ended up right over in the middle of the zone.

8. st1080 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I’d like to talk about the more important thing. That being his wife is smokin hot. She’s so fine I’d suck her daddy’s dick

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

What is wrong with you?

• st1080 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Lol

9. southbeachtalent - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Almost like hitting a softball, hitters are not waiting for the ball. It is an amazing story though, I hope he can pitch until he is 50. The question is if he gets to the 300 win mark, should he be in the Hall? hmmmm

• bleedgreen - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I’d almost say he belongs in the hall now. His accomplishments are ‘pretty good’ but its the longevity. You don’t stick around in the league for over 20 years unless you’re REALLY good at what you do.

10. anythingbutyanks - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Gads…I throw faster than that! I wonder if teams would stand a better chance if they ran their low A teams out against him. He’s crafty as heck, but at least the speeds they would be a bit more used to than major leaguers.

11. dawglb - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Pitching is an art, especially in his case. I am sorry he is not in Philadelphia anymore. He is a good guy. I wish him well this season, even if it means getting a “W” vs the Phils.

12. dawglb - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Bleedgreen, I hope he is a HOFer. Maybe if he can win 6-8 games (dare I ask for 10?) this year….

13. prrbrr - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

When he was in Baltimore he visited the children’s unit at Johns Hopkins at least 2-3 times a month. He needs to be in the HOF. When does he turn 50?

14. joewilliesshnoz - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Can’t wait til he comes down from Aspen with two tablets in his arms . . .

15. dawglb - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I believe he just turned 49. So, he will have to survive another roster invite and make a team next year. I realize he wants to be a starter, but he could win a few in middle relief, if he’d agree to do that. Jamie in the HOF!

16. rooney24 - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Moyer is the real life, left handed Eddie Harris from Major League.

• istillbelieveinblue - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Are you implying Mr. Moyer is putting Vagisil on the baseball?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win