Jeanmar Gomez suspended five games for hitting Mike Moustakas

Apr 18, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

gomez getty Getty Images

For the second time this season an Indians starting pitcher has been suspended five games for plunking an opposing hitter.

First it was Ubaldo Jimenez hitting former teammate Troy Tulowitzki late in spring training and now Jeanmar Gomez has gotten a five-game ban for hitting Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas on Saturday in what MLB deemed retaliation for Shin-Soo Choo being plunked earlier in the game.

Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Gomez will appeal the suspension and plans to make his next scheduled start Saturday versus the A’s. Jimenez initially appealed his suspension as well, but later dropped the appeal and simply pushed back his next start a couple days.

1. Lukehart80 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I say this as an Indians fan, and I say this knowing someone is coming to tell me that I can’t possibly have ever played baseball before because I just don’t understand, but I’m happy about this suspension.

The suspensions might need to be longer though, because while the purpose of the five-games is to have an SP miss a start, all it really does is push a start back by one day.

2. jimbo1949 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

What’s wrong with this is: if you strike first you get away with it.
    If you’re going to punish the second guy get the instigator also.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You’d have to be able to prove Jonathan Sanchez did it intentionally. I am familiar with Jonathan Sanchez’s lack of control. I really don’t believe he intended to hit Choo.

On the other hand, if you’re going to make it blatantly obvious and throw the very first pitch at the very next batter, you’re going to get suspended. I know it’s the “macho” and “good teammate” thing to do, but you’re going to get suspended.

Gomez, if he does indeed appeal, will look like an idiot. There was no question as to whether it was an accident or not. Grown men should be able to own up to things.

• Pierre Cruzatte - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Isn’t Sanchez pretty well known for starting beef with people? I know he’s also known for his walks, but I gather he has a reputation for getting in pissy little fights.

Point is, it’s tough to speak to intent in any event.

• Pierre Cruzatte - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

(Also: if I missed half a season in my prime and missed out on my full value in arbitration because some guy hit me with a pitch, then the next time I saw that guy he hit me with a pitch again… I mean, you kind of have to applaud Choo for not taking the guy’s head off with the bat.)

3. nflperson - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM

A lot of this falls on the umps for giving the warning too soon. The players have policed themselves fairly well for over a century, just let them play.

4. kanganzhu - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

His ejection from the game should have been punishment enough. Sanchez injured Choo last year with a wild one, so good for Gomez going out their and sticking up for his teammate. He wasn’t headhunting, so I think this is an overreaction by the league.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3390)