Mark Melancon demoted to Pawtucket

Apr 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EST

Mark Melancon Getty Images

I’m so psyched! Pawtucket is coming to Columbus for a series a week from Friday and I may get a chance to see a real major league closer!

Matthew called this last night, of course. And as he noted, Clayton Mortensen and Junichi Tazawa would be the favorites to replace him on the roster.

Thank god they did it now. One more outing and Melancon wouldn’t be able to say his ERA was under 50.00.

1. danielcp0303 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’m still amazed the Astros were able to get 2 starters for this guy.

• Ben - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

To be fair, his internals were adequate last year, and obviously a HR/FB% of 62.5 isn’t exactly sustainable.

• danielcp0303 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Try and justify it however you like, I’m still amazed.

• stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Also have to ask where else those guys would be starters. Weiland hasn’t put together a good game yet. And his WHIP is running 2.25.

• baseballisboring - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I mean think about it, Weiland’s a starter and Lowrie’s an SS, and the RED SOX traded them away…

• biasedhomer - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I thought it was a steal for the Astros.

I am really high on Jed Lowrie. If he can stay healthy, he will develop into an above average SS.

• stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I still think Melancon is not a closer, but has a future as a set up man. I’m guessing injury or something in his mechanics.

• kingbuccaneer - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I’ve def been impressed with the way he’s started the year, especially on the youngest team in MLB.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Shocking. One thing I noticed when I watched the highlights is that both home and away broadcasts mentioned how close Hamilton’s shot was to the Ted Williams seat in RF. Can’t keep a pitcher on your staff that puts that red seat at risk.

• bloodysock - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Williams’ shot went 502 feet. 469 is a nice distance but still a considerable amount shy of the red seat and I’m pretty sure Papi has hit a few that distance.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Papi is allowed to come close to it. Texas Rangers are not.

3. stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I know that every stat is flawed in some way, but in 2011 he had:
    2.78 ERA
    8.0 SO/9 innings
    SO/BB = 2.5
    WHIP = 1.22
    SV=20
    That is for 71 appearances and 70 innings. All for the league minimum salary. He obviously has something screwed up right now, but you have to believe that at 27 he has the capability of recovering.

Personally, yes, I believe the Astros get the better of the deal. And they need help more than Boston. And I doubt he really fits the profile of what people see in a closer. But I think the question to ask here is “What changed for him?”

• 18thstreet - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

National League numbers. Once you convert them to the big-boy league, they wouldn’t look so impressive.

• stex52 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot. Milwaukee and St. Louis can’t hit. Where was the AL East in the World Series?

4. bloodysock - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Going down to Pawtucket will make him seem like he’s back in Houston with a capacity crowd of not more than 10,000.

5. 18thstreet - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Heck of job, Larry.

6. Jack Marshall - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Did anyone knocking the guy actually see Melancon pitch last season? Of course not. Because he was impressive. He sure was unhittable when he faced the Red Sox. Lowrie is injury prone (he started this season injured) and Weiland’s nothing special. Assuming Melancon can figure out why he’s so screwed up, it was a good trade for the Sox’s needs.

• bloodysock - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Seriously? The Red Sox swept the three game inter-league series last season at Houston with Melancon pitching one inning, giving up three walks and a hit in the final game and taking the loss.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I agree Lowrie was injury-prone and the Sox needed to move on, but so far it looks like they got fleeced. I’m sure for what they gave up they should have at the very least been able to get a guy that can record outs in return.

7. pisano - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

On the other hand look how they got over on San Diego, getting Gonzalez for a bag of balls and a couple of used jock straps. The old slogan goes: you win some, and you lose some.

8. neelyisgod - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Everyone sing it……Sweeeeet Carrrrroline……good times never seemed so good….so good so good so good

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester