Apr 18, 2012, 1:50 AM EST
As far as wins and losses go, it didn’t matter if Mark Melancon pitched a perfect inning or got lit up by the Rangers tonight, not with the Red Sox already behind 8-2 in the eighth. However, that he failed to retire any of the six hitters he faced will almost certainly play a role in his immediate future.
Melancon, who closed for the Astros last year and was a candidate to occupy that role for Boston when Andrew Bailey went down, gave up three homers tonight and saw his ERA jump to 49.50.
Melancon has made four appearances this season, but he’s pitched just two innings and he’s already allowed five homers. That’s as many as he gave up in 74 1/3 innings for Houston last season.
With the Red Sox in need of a fresh arm after Jon Lester‘s two-inning start tonight, there’s a good chance Melancon will be optioned to Triple-A prior to Wednesday’s game. Clayton Mortensen and Junichi Tazawa would be the favorites to replace him on the roster.
At this point, it’s likely the best thing for the Red Sox and Melancon. The 27-year-old right-hander needs a chance to clear his head, and with Boston at home for four more games and the boos likely to rain down, he’s not going to get that opportunity at Fenway.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)