Apr 18, 2012, 1:50 AM EST
As far as wins and losses go, it didn’t matter if Mark Melancon pitched a perfect inning or got lit up by the Rangers tonight, not with the Red Sox already behind 8-2 in the eighth. However, that he failed to retire any of the six hitters he faced will almost certainly play a role in his immediate future.
Melancon, who closed for the Astros last year and was a candidate to occupy that role for Boston when Andrew Bailey went down, gave up three homers tonight and saw his ERA jump to 49.50.
Melancon has made four appearances this season, but he’s pitched just two innings and he’s already allowed five homers. That’s as many as he gave up in 74 1/3 innings for Houston last season.
With the Red Sox in need of a fresh arm after Jon Lester‘s two-inning start tonight, there’s a good chance Melancon will be optioned to Triple-A prior to Wednesday’s game. Clayton Mortensen and Junichi Tazawa would be the favorites to replace him on the roster.
At this point, it’s likely the best thing for the Red Sox and Melancon. The 27-year-old right-hander needs a chance to clear his head, and with Boston at home for four more games and the boos likely to rain down, he’s not going to get that opportunity at Fenway.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)