Apr 18, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
There are a lot more important things to get outraged about in politics, but if you’re gonna do things like wear the local team’s gear and stand in front of their ballpark in campaign ads in order to try to co-opt some goodwill, you had better not do this:
U.S. Sen. Scott Brown may be rooting for the Red Sox against the Yankees this week, but the head of the hated Pinstripes is going to bat for Brown.
Randy Levine, president of the New York Yankees, donated the maximum $2,500 to the Massachusetts Republican’s re-election campaign last month, according to newly released campaign finance records. That’s right, the commander of the Evil Empire is helping to pay for all those Brown ads championing his support of the Red Sox.
It’d be trivial if, as the article notes, the woman Brown beat in his last election didn’t get all kinds of bad press for thinking that Curt Schilling was a Yankees fan when trying to criticize Schilling’s endorsement of Brown. Of course she was a terrible candidate in a number of ways, so that may not have done her in. But the point remains that silly Red Sox issues seem to matter in Massachusetts politics.
Ultimately, though, this will make me sad if it becomes a real issue instead of an amusing note. Because if people get all angry about a moderate individual donation from a private citizen who happens to be connected with a sports team they hate for tribal reasons, while they seem to care less about huge, systematic purchasing of our political system by corporate and other special interests, it means that we’re pretty much broken as a republic.
(thanks to @baseballot for the heads up)
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)