Apr 18, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
To replace him on the roster Pittsburgh called up Brad Lincoln, a one-time top prospect and former No. 4 overall pick who pitched 48 innings for the Pirates last season. Lincoln is 26 years old and at this point he looks like a marginal big leaguer after throwing 279 innings with a 4.19 ERA and 229/55 K/BB ratio at Triple-A.
Karstens was a pleasant surprise for the Pirates last season, posting a 3.39 ERA in 162 innings, but his secondary numbers were far less impressive and he missed time in September with, you guessed it, shoulder problems.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)