The Roger Clemens trial is dragging

Apr 18, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

clemens ap AP

Day three and they’re still trying to seat a jury:

Jury selection in the Roger Clemens perjury case is dragging on at the pace of a midsummer baseball snoozer. Except in this case, endless at-bats are replaced with hourlong rounds of questions of potential jurors, with no end in sight. The mind-numbing task of choosing a jury for Clemens’ retrial has gone on for two days and might not be done by the end of the week.

Wow, the dude who wrote the “baseball is boring and slow” post is now covering the Clemens trial. Great range on that guy!

Seriously, though: it’s a trial about whether something a guy said in less than an hour’s worth of testimony was true — and which really only two other people have first hand knowledge about — yet jurors are being told it will take six weeks to try it. If I were in that jury pool I’d claw out my own eyes before risking being empaneled, so it’s totally understandable that this thing is dragging.

1. wondroushippo - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

@TJQuinnESPN’s live tweeting of the jury selection is more entertaining than voir dire ought to be.

2. mplsjoe - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

As a lawyer I can definitively say: jury-selection is the most boring thing ever.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

As an occasional juror I can assure you that listening to lawyers is infinitely more boring.

3. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

As someone who fell asleep during jury selection and was still picked, I can tell you jury selection is boring

4. iranuke - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Why should we be worried about someone who lies to Congress? I mean, Congress lies to us ALL THE TIME.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

535 of the biggest liars in the country are upset, heads will roll.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

How hard are you praying that either Clemens or his lawyers will say exactly that at some point during the trial?

• iranuke - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Heck with the lawyers, if I were in the jury pool, that is what I would say to the judge. Think I would be excused?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3839)