Apr 18, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
Cody Eppley, a right-handed reliever, was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
It’s not clear when Gardner suffered the elbow strain or how long he is expected to be on the shelf. But it’s certainly a tough early blow to the 6-6 Bombers.
Gardner has hit .321/.424/.393 with three RBI and two stolen bases in 10 games this season. Andruw Jones will presumably get the majority of playing time in left field while the 28-year-old speedster is out.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)