Apr 18, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
Cody Eppley, a right-handed reliever, was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
It’s not clear when Gardner suffered the elbow strain or how long he is expected to be on the shelf. But it’s certainly a tough early blow to the 6-6 Bombers.
Gardner has hit .321/.424/.393 with three RBI and two stolen bases in 10 games this season. Andruw Jones will presumably get the majority of playing time in left field while the 28-year-old speedster is out.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)