Apr 19, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Today the Angels and Erick Aybar made official what was all but finalized last week, announcing a four-year, $35 million contract extension for the switch-hitting shortstop.
Aybar, who’s making $5.075 million this season, gets $1.5 million more than double-play partner Howie Kendrick received in his four-year deal signed in January. Both players would have been free agents after this season.
Aybar’s extension begins next season and will keep him with the Angels through 2016, when he’ll be 32 years old. And because committing to a speedy shortstop into his mid-30s is generally a huge risk the Angels did well to get it done for only four years.
He’s off to a poor start this season and has never been a particularly strong hitter with a .274 batting average, .317 on-base percentage, and .377 slugging percentage in 640 career games, but Aybar captured his first Gold Glove award last season, adds value with his speed as well, and has been worth around $48 million during the previous four seasons according to Fan Graphs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)