Cliff Lee shuts out the Giants for ten innings, Phillies lose

Apr 19, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Blast living in the eastern time zone. For, because I went to bed at a reasonable hour, I missed an unreasonably good pitching matchup: Cliff Lee vs. Matt Cain, each of whom shut the other side out for nine innings. Those nine innings took only one hour and fifty-minutes, by the way.

The difference: Cliff Lee went on to do it for a tenth inning. And he needed only 102 pitches to do it. In completing the tenth inning, Lee was only the fourth guy to do it in the 21st century. Aaron Harang did it once. Mark Mulder did too. Roy Halladay did it twice, naturally. And now Lee.

But sadly it was not enough as the Giants got two more innings of shutout relief while Antonio Bastardo allowed a single, then had a base runner reach on an error and then surrendered a walkoff single to Melky Cabrera, ending the game.

I suppose one could do a half-empty, half-full thing here.  The half-empty crowd has to ask how both of these offenses struggled so mightily. Even against a couple of aces, one would hope that hitters would see more pitches than they did (each side needed only 114 pitches to get through 11 innings).  One would also have to seriously question Charlie Manuel’s decision to have Freddy Galvis bunt in the tenth inning and then send Jim Thome and John Mayberry to bat when contact was key (there was a runner on third, after all). A strikeout and a flyout ended the threat.

Since I have no vested interest in either team’s offense, however, I’m content to go with the half-full of a a pitching orgy. And, actually, that glass is overflowing, because based on the box score alone this looked awesome. I will spend a good bit of my morning watching the game on replay.

1. hojo20 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

That would be a game I’d love to be at. Good pitching, fast moving game. It took these guys 1:50 to play nine, while two days ago the Sox & Rangers game, in the middle of the 2nd inning the game already was an hour old.

• pw38 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Well if the Sox would have stopped the Rangers from scoring at will the game would have been shorter. Kinda hard to have a fast game when you give up 18 runs on 21 hits.

2. hank10 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

We in the Land of the Fightins are going to be seeing a lot of games like this with such a weak-hitting lineup. Dunno if I can take a full season of dink-n-dunk.

• SOBEIT - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Giants have a term for that…TORTURE! Too many 1-run games will test the ticker.

3. ndbites34 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

So if Cliff Lee was the third person in the 21st Century to do it, are we not counting Mark Mulder as a person? Pretty sure Harang, Mulder, Halladay & Lee equals 4.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Ahh, what are you saying?

4. badmamainphilliesjamas - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Let’s not forget that by trading Polanco’s struggling bat for Wigginton’s, the Phils also suffered from Wigginton’s glove . . . the 11th inning error that should have been a double play. Sad to see such spectacular pitching wasted.

• spudchukar - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Yep, it was fairly routine, and would in fact have erased the base runner, who became the deciding run.

5. royhobbs39 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

“You think that’s rough. You should try going nine innings of perfect ball and not even getting a no-hittter” – Pedro Martinez (though he did get the win)

• spudchukar - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

As Kevin S. has already mentioned, Harvey Haddix is the real comparison here. Even Martinez has to move over for Haddix. That was one tough loss.

6. charlutes - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Tough gig there C.C.

7. Kevin S. - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

“Psshaw!” – Harvey Haddix.

8. deathmonkey41 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I never mind seeing Cliff Lee on the losing side of a game.

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM

he didnt lose…..

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

But he was on the losing side, no?

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I suppose… but the title of the article leads one to believe that he took the loss, right?

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Not anymore. I changed it because I agree it was misleading.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

It was a little misleading- not as misleading as “Cliff Lee Shuts Out the Giants for 10 Innings, Puppy Dies in MN”, but still misleading.

• phukyouk - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM

That is an incredibly stupid title. everyone here knows that Craig is a cat man.

• Marty - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

“[Matt Cain] shuts out the [Phillies] for [nine] innings, gets a no decision”

There, corrected the HL for you.

9. SOBEIT - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Awesome game by Cain and Lee. Both were shutting down innings with 6-10 pitches per inning. They were both throwing strikes so the offense had to swing early or be down 0-2 or 1-2 before you could blink. You couldn’t leave for a minute otherwise you missed a half inning.

Glad I stayed up…was debating all the way through the 7th inning. But it was going by so fast, I had to stay up. Am really tired now..the game ending gave me too much of an adrenaline rush. Melky clutch again…huge off season pickup. This was way better than Lincecum/Halladay.

10. leerosenthall - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

“Cliff Lee shuts out the Giants for ten innings, loses”

Except Cliff Lee DIDN’T lose; Antonio Bastardo did, thanks to that Ty Wiggington boot.

Polanco may be swinging a rank bat, but his glove is still amazingly reliable and his (and dare I say it?) Ryan Howard’s gloves were sorely missed last night.

Great game though.

11. Jonny 5 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Cliff Lee just doesn’t know how to win I guess.

12. tmohr - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You cannot stop Melkington Q. Cabrera. You can only hope to contain him.

13. Marty - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The flip side of Philly’s anemic offense is the Giants hitting into 4 double plays, 2 of which I remember with go ahead base runners at 2nd (Posey hit two of those). Lee got hit around last night relative to Cain.

The Phillies didn’t get a base runner to 3rd until the 10th. Thome v Lopez, and Thome was likely to put it in play… probably as a sac pop. Lopez stuck him out. Seeing Thome eying Lopez on the way back to the dugout was as satisfying as seeing Lee meditate on the mound in his 2010 WS losses.

One walk in the entire game? Cabrera had 3 hits.

…and Clay f**king Hensley.

14. pw38 - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If Only Cliff Lee had an offense like the Rangers…
    ;)

15. jimbo1949 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Walk off wins are no stranger to Melky, had a bunch with the Yanks.
    Pissed at DirecTV/Extra Innings. This game was advertised on the schedule and was also shown on the game mix channel as being on channel 747. THEY LIED. Looks like I missed a great game.

• SOBEIT - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

This…

I had to get the online version for one month. But I expect I will have to just sign up for the whole year to watch games that Dtv will not show for some reason. And then I have to get a different add on package from Dtv if I want to watch weekend games that start at 1pm and it is on Fox channel…which for some reason does not allow games to be shown on ExtraInnnings and MLBtv. Anyone else have to deal with this by being a fan thousands of miles away from your team?

16. Rick Chandler - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I was there. If ever a park needed the Bypass Lane concession ap, it’s AT&T. With the Giants’ great pitching and anemic hitting, you can miss five innings by going to the snack bar.

Three legends off to Cooperstown