Apr 19, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
Curt Schilling’s video game responsibilities will prevent him from attending the 100th anniversary ceremonies at Fenway Park on Friday:
To Red Sox Nation,
I apologize that business at 38 Studios has made my participation in the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park impossible. Please understand that should in no way indicate my love and passion for Red Sox Nation. There was no greater feeling than standing on that mound, in that park, in front of you fans. The memories I was honored to be a part of, from David’s walk off HR in the 2004 ALDS, to going 4-0 in World Series games in that park, to the true honor of wearing that uniform every single day is something I am blessed to have, and will never forget.
I was and always have been opinionated, and unafraid to share my opinion, and for that I accept whatever it is you think of me. But please know that when I had the ball in my hand I gave the team, and you, every ounce of everything I had to get a “W”. It was an honor to wear the uniform, and compete with the incredible team and teammates I was allowed to.
Every great memory I have in that uniform is because of the people that paid to watch us play, and I will be forever grateful to you for that.
Thank you and God Bless
Some of Schilling’s recent comments have been poorly received by Josh Beckett and Bobby Valentine, but this looks more like a simple scheduling conflict than anything else. Despite the dropouts, it still figures to be a star-studded affair tomorrow.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)