Curt Schilling to skip Friday’s Fenway bash

Apr 19, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT

Curt Schilling’s video game responsibilities will prevent him from attending the 100th anniversary ceremonies at Fenway Park on Friday:

To Red Sox Nation,

I apologize that business at 38 Studios has made my participation in the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park impossible. Please understand that should in no way indicate my love and passion for Red Sox Nation. There was no greater feeling than standing on that mound, in that park, in front of you fans. The memories I was honored to be a part of, from David’s walk off HR in the 2004 ALDS, to going 4-0 in World Series games in that park, to the true honor of wearing that uniform every single day is something I am blessed to have, and will never forget.

I was and always have been opinionated, and unafraid to share my opinion, and for that I accept whatever it is you think of me. But please know that when I had the ball in my hand I gave the team, and you, every ounce of everything I had to get a “W”. It was an honor to wear the uniform, and compete with the incredible team and teammates I was allowed to.

Every great memory I have in that uniform is because of the people that paid to watch us play, and I will be forever grateful to you for that.

Curt Schilling

Some of Schilling’s recent comments have been poorly received by Josh Beckett and Bobby Valentine, but this looks more like a simple scheduling conflict than anything else. Despite the dropouts, it still figures to be a star-studded affair tomorrow.

1. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Because he didn’t know the date 8 years ago?

• Jack Marshall - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

My thought exactly. Though I have to say, in fairness, I did the same thing on my folks’ 50th Wedding Anniversary.

2. randygnyc - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Oh, please!!! There is nothing so important that can’t be rescheduled. This anniversary is once in a lifetime (or 2).

3. sabatimus - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

That’s ok, I skipped his video game, so we’re even.

4. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

He’s a douchebag blowhard always has been always will be. He has found his home in Bristol with the other Fenway d-bag Nomar.

5. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

And let’s not forget its a stadium for god sakes. I wonder if Maximus would have had a conflict for the 100th of the coliseum?

6. chuckj1234 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Who actually cares!!!!!!!!

7. vols84 - Apr 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I really think he had a future in politics. Remember hearing the same thing about the Vet in Philly and Bank One ballpark in Phoenix.

8. TheBloozah - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Really, Curt? Really??? Absurd.

9. aceshigh11 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

He REALLY should be there, but…his statement is very classy. I take him at his word.

10. daisycutter1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m pretty sure that Curt Schilling, Founder & Chairman of 38 Studios, could reschedule any meeting or prior obligation if he wanted to. It’s not like he’s a programmer up against a deadline or anything like that.

11. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM

there goes another boston hero giving the nation the finger

12. massivedick - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

it’s just the anniversary of a freak’n building. wtfc! you red sox fan need to loosen up those tight asses.

13. Utley's Hair - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hey, look at it this way: It’s his anniversary gift to Red Sox Nation. Happy hundredth, Fenway!!!!! He won’t be there!!!!!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3853)